How many times do you reload your brass?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

How many times do you reload your brass?

Postby Huuktonshooting » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:16 am

I have been reloading for years but not as many years as most here. When it comes to common calibers , 223, 556, 300bo, 30-06, 45 acp, ; it is obvious to me when it’s time to retire the brass. I get loose primer pockets or at the hotter loads you might see a very small line at the case head separation point. I have been blessed With having thousands of brass for those calibers. So really not much “ reloading “, more handloading to be accurate.

This is not the case for 450 BM, and I love this caliber.
Some of my 450 brass is on his third and fourth loading with no signs of wear besides the occasional scratch from the bolt. I know there’s plenty of discussions regarding on annealing . Also I don’t feel any loose primer pockets yet.

So I’m curious what signs others are seeing once they have been loaded one too many times for a softball load versus a hot load.

450 BM and 460 S&W. Alway have me experimenting ans using a wide variety of loads. The 460 was easy to find the fail point.. just wondering if it will be so apparent with the 450? Should I give annealing a go? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!
Huuktonshooting

Re: How many times do you reload your brass?

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:29 pm

In my AR platform, the brass gets shorter the more times it is reloaded. After resizing the cases, for me, once they measure less than 1.680, they get used for testing stab crimp settings, then to the recycling bin. That's usually around 4 or 5 reloadings unless you run 'em hot all the time, which you really don't need to do. They're plenty lethal at normal to slightly elevated velocities. The second criteria is measuring the max diameter point, usually around the wall to web transition, after resizing. Again, for me, once they exceed .515, measured with a known good micrometer, they become hard to chamber reliably. Actually, with my particular chamber, the absolute cutoff is .517, so .515 is close enough.

The rules change with bolt action platforms. While I like my AR and don't feel compelled to also own a bolt action, I've read enough accounts of them lasting much longer than 5 reloads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Huuktonshooting » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:56 am

Thank for the info Hoot. This was exactly what I am looking for! May be time to retire about half my brass .. only have about 300 or so.. I also have - box of 50 from midway I have never touched , leaving those as my reserve if I not able to find more.
Huuktonshooting

Postby MOOSE EARS » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 pm

I've not counted how many times but I know I'm around 10 loadings on some of my brass. Just keep checking it and be sure it's not too short, or long.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Huuktonshooting » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:25 am

Appreciate the info.. depending on my loadings I may have some life left.. I measured 100 and only 10 are short.. that’s not too bad(have not measured all of them yet). The shorts are probably from some hot xtp mags and Speer DC.. I agree with what Hoot said, no need to run this caliber hot, it is efficient at doing its job.
Huuktonshooting

Return to Reloading for the 450b