Stuck case – Those who have and Those Who are going to.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Stuck case – Those who have and Those Who are going to.

Postby gunnut » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:29 pm

I am NOT recommending this to anyone! If you get a stuck case, Take it to a gunsmith.
But, If you do your own work and have been reloading for awhile. Read on.
Those who shoot more than a little and or reload have had this happen to them.
The worse case is having a live round stuck in the chamber!
With the AR platform, In THEORY if the bolt is unlocked the firing pin is not long enough to reach the prime allowing to dislodge the round by droping a rod down the barrel. I have done this and believe me it is a very scary thing to do. I have tried to pry them open from the ejection port and the magazine well. Others have broken charging handles trying to beat them open. Thats the problem.

Here is my the solution!
I AM recommending this.
Do this before it happens
Drill an 1/8” hole through the bolt carrier directly above the rear most part of the extractor when the bolt is in the unlocked position. “Remove bolt from carrier before drilling.”
As long as the bolt is unlocked. 98% of the time they are or can be.
This will allow the extractor to be unlocked from the case by pushing down on the rear of the extractor through the carrier using a spare firing pin. Then the bolt can be pulled back and locked back out of the way. Then you can safely tap or push the round out from the barrel end using a rod..The hard part is the bolt carrier is case hardned. Image
gunnut

Re: Stuck case – Those who have and Those Who are going to.

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:06 pm

This is so cool as it is instructive. I have stuck cases wherein I have either broken or bent the charging handle. Believe-you-me, I am definitately going to do this, thanks GN..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Very informative, definately going on my "things to do to get away from the old lady" list.

How about a sticky on this MB?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby BD1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 am

I've been there and done that, and this is the best suggestion I've seen in a long time.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MudBug » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:42 am

2zero6 wrote:Very informative, definately going on my "things to do to get away from the old lady" list.

When I get the new knowledge base installed I'll add it to that.

I've never had a case that wouldn't either extract just by pulling the charging handle while bumping the stock on the ground, or the rim would tear off.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 pm

MudBug wrote:
2zero6 wrote:Very informative, definately going on my "things to do to get away from the old lady" list.

When I get the new knowledge base installed I'll add it to that.

I've never had a case that wouldn't either extract just by pulling the charging handle while bumping the stock on the ground, or the rim would tear off.

Hey Mudder, if'n ya awl ain'ts never had none of dem-dar stuck cases, then you-awl must not be ah holden your tongue right..wink
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I personally havent had it happen to me either but I have been with people that it has happened to. I would just rather be prepared and have the knowledge in case it ever does happen to me. You know what they say about Oold Mr. Murphy ( no offense to anyone on here with the name Murphy) :D .
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 pm

:shock: That's pure genious! ;) I'd a been in a bind with that one for sure :oops: Only I don't have the machinery to do that right :roll:

:| The only "stuck" cases I've ever had were with reloads in a M100 308win that had a worn extractor claw. Bolt was leaving the spent cases in the chamber, so removing them was as descibed by using a brass rod and hammer 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby pitted bore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 pm

gunnut wrote:Then you can safely tap or push the round out from the barrel end using a rod.

All-
Be very careful tapping the round out of the barrel. The stuck rounds sometimes go off. I've read of at least two instances involving fatalities.

A sad one occurred at a benchrest match with a bolt rifle. The case stuck in the chamber, so the shooter removed the bolt, cleared his bench, and took the rifle back to the cleaning bench to remove the stuck round. He inserted a cleaning rod into the bore and began to tap on it to knock the case back out of the chamber. While he was doing this, the cartridge fired. Since it it unsupported from the rear, the cartridge case and primer ejected violently out the back of the action. Unfortunately, the shooter's wife was standing behind the rifle watching him. The case struck her in the abdomen. She died before they could get her to the hospital.

The other case was similar, but it was a couple of guys in a basement.

It doesn't make a lot of sense: How could beating on a bullet in a loaded case cause the cartridge to fire? But it's happened, and because the case is pretty much confined, there are going to be high pressures.

So, if you must tap on the stuck loaded round to remove it, be sure that no one and nothing is lined up to get hurt if the stuck cartridge goes BANG. This would include getting yourself speared with a cleaning rod.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby oldmanjeffers » Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey Gunnut, I brought my other Questions over here, Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult or a smart arse but why would I be worried about a stuck case using .284 brass and having the wedge anchor effect if I had pulled the trigger and the wedge (projectile) went out of the barrel and the anchor (new trimmed .284 brass) was then "fire formed" to my chamber and extracted as normal? I can see this being a problem if i was just chambering and extracting rounds but I plan of firing the thing. If I've done everything right on my end reloading this brass they should go boom, and I'll never (well, never say never) need to worry about pushing a loaded round out from the muzzle. Am I missing something? Again I'm not trying to be argumentative, And honestly I don't have the ability to side crimp yet, BUT I am going to try the tubing cutter Idea this evening.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b