450BM pistol bullet plinker loads for AR

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

450BM pistol bullet plinker loads for AR

Postby drayks+ » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:50 am

Hello, does anyone have powder recommendations for loading 230 grain jacketed pistol bullets to achieve 1600-1800fps velocity in a 18" BCA barreled AR for plinking loads? I have UNIQUE/LONGSHOT/AA#9/H110/W296 but willing to buy others. Looking to cycle bolt but don't care if I get lockback. Plan to use Hornady 230 gr HAP bullets and CCI#41 primers. Thank you-drayks
drayks+

Re: 450BM pistol bullet plinker loads for AR

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:33 am

drayks+ wrote:Hello, does anyone have powder recommendations for loading 230 grain jacketed pistol bullets to achieve 1600-1800fps velocity in a 18" BCA barreled AR for plinking loads? I have UNIQUE/LONGSHOT/AA#9/H110/W296 but willing to buy others. Looking to cycle bolt but don't care if I get lockback. Plan to use Hornady 230 gr HAP bullets and CCI#41 primers. Thank you-drayks

Welcome Aboard Drayks!

There are numerous threads on this forum about exactly what you are looking for. Try Googling the following search term:

site:450bushmaster.net "230 FMJ"

That will give you 55 results to check out for a start. H110 and W296 will work but Hodgdon Lil Gun is the best choice IMHO. Interestingly, its one of the few powders my local reloading shop actually has on hand, so if you're inclined to get some, it shouldn't be as hard as some powders to come by. Varget, Reloader 15, H4350, etc are like unobtanium up here.

The search engine here isn't particularly good and that's why I recommend using Google's Forum Search feature.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:29 am

I don’t think you’ll be able to obtain those low velocities with Lil Gun or 296. Reduced loads with 296 are dangerous. What exactly are you trying to achieve? A sub sonic for cans? Otherwise, if you want plinking rounds with the 230 grain FMJs just use 38.0-39.0 grains of LilGun.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby drayks+ » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 pm

Thank you for the responses. I am trying to obtain reliable cycling at the bottom end of the velocity scale for my MSR and minimal recoil. 72 year old bones and all that, not trying to shoot through a bear, but want to tune for accuracy since the HAP is supposed to be one of the most accurate of the pistol bullets. I have a PCC in 45 AUTO, but want more velocity than that can give me. Great info and experience on the forum, glad to be here. drayks+
drayks+

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:46 pm

drayks+ wrote:Thank you for the responses. I am trying to obtain reliable cycling at the bottom end of the velocity scale for my MSR and minimal recoil. 72 year old bones and all that, not trying to shoot through a bear, but want to tune for accuracy since the HAP is supposed to be one of the most accurate of the pistol bullets. I have a PCC in 45 AUTO, but want more velocity than that can give me. Great info and experience on the forum, glad to be here. drayks+

f you want accuracy, reliable cycling without a hard kick, its hard to go wrong with the Hornady 200gr FTX. Reliable cycling occurs the more you cycle that action and smooth over the rough edges. That either takes a lot of range time or sitting around, watching TV while you hand cycle it. Do it wet with some form of CLP and flush it out when you're done. Re-oil and repeat the next evening. By the time comfortable shooting (range time) weather returns, it should be broke in just fine. New AR's can be hard to get to cycle reliably until all the gliding edges are smoothed over from repetition and a well broke in AR will cycle reliably with lighter loads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:55 pm

Hoot wrote:
drayks+ wrote:Thank you for the responses. I am trying to obtain reliable cycling at the bottom end of the velocity scale for my MSR and minimal recoil. 72 year old bones and all that, not trying to shoot through a bear, but want to tune for accuracy since the HAP is supposed to be one of the most accurate of the pistol bullets. I have a PCC in 45 AUTO, but want more velocity than that can give me. Great info and experience on the forum, glad to be here. drayks+

f you want accuracy, reliable cycling without a hard kick, its hard to go wrong with the Hornady 200gr FTX. Reliable cycling occurs the more you cycle that action and smooth over the rough edges. That either takes a lot of range time or sitting around, watching TV while you hand cycle it. Do it wet with some form of CLP and flush it out when you're done. Re-oil and repeat the next evening. By the time comfortable shooting (range time) weather returns, it should be broke in just fine. New AR's can be hard to get to cycle reliably until all the gliding edges are smoothed over from repetition and a well broke in AR will cycle reliably with lighter loads.

Hoot

+1!!!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b