Final question about Hornady 250gr xtp non-mag and whitetail

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Final question about Hornady 250gr xtp non-mag and whitetail

Postby Half-cocked » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:41 pm

I know that there are better choices and it turns out I picked the non mag xtps.

I had planned on using these for whitetail before I learned the difference between fx, xtp and xtp mag bullets. I am concerned about bullet fragmentation and fine lead in the meat.

Has anyone used the 250g xtp non mag on deer?

35 grain lilgun, mag primer out of an AR 15.
Half-cocked

Re: Final question about Hornady 250gr xtp non-mag and white

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:21 pm

Half-cocked wrote:I know that there are better choices and it turns out I picked the non mag xtps.

I had planned on using these for whitetail before I learned the difference between fx, xtp and xtp mag bullets. I am concerned about bullet fragmentation and fine lead in the meat.

Has anyone used the 250g xtp non mag on deer?

35 grain lilgun, mag primer out of an AR 15.

I haven't but you may have trouble getting that AR action to cycle fully with just 35gr. I could be wrong but if you haven't already proven that to work, don't wait for when you're deer hunting with them to find out. While its a good idea to use the lightest load that works, make sure you test functionality at the same temperature you will be hunting at. Ball powders are notorious for dropping power content as the temp goes down. Double lung 'em if you don't have to worry about them running off your property or head shoot them to anchor them there. Either method won't damage the meat worth keeping it'll get the job done. I got tired of spitting bits of lead out of my venison chili so I switched to Barnes.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:31 pm

Several concerns.
35.0 grains of Lil gun seems a lower than normal charge. Risk of pressure events (detonation)
XTPs are not engineered for the pressures required in the 450 Bushmaster.
1:16 twist? 1:24 twist? The 1:16 twists are going to stress the crap out of non mag XTP jackets.
Would the working pressures be too low to cycle the bolt carrier consistently?
In most of my observations here and from other members experiences, I am predicting you’ll not get the performance and cycling dependability out of your load.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Half-cocked » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:03 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Several concerns.
35.0 grains of Lil gun seems a lower than normal charge. Risk of pressure events (detonation)
1:16 twist? 1:24 twist? The 1:16 twists are going to stress the crap out of non mag XTP jackets.
In most of my observations here and from other members experiences, I am predicting you’ll not get the performance and cycling dependability out of your load.

I have the 1:24 twist rate out of a 16 inch barrel carbine length gas system.

Thanks guys I'll play with that load. At 36 grains I was getting good results on paper I'd thought I'd drop it down just to see.

I suppose there is one way to find out how these will perform. All else fails I get rifle rated bullets and use these for targets what a shame though.
Half-cocked

Postby s4s4u » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Several concerns.

They may not be "engineered" for this, but I have a friend that loads them in his 15" 460 S&W T/C Encore to over 2k fps and smokes deer with them. They don't hold togther like a mag xtp, but the wound channel and shock are impressive. He says they seldom even take a step. I have 50 loaded up in front of 38 grains of lil gun to give a try this next season. I plan to do some homegrown ballistic testing this summer.
s4s4u

Return to Reloading for the 450b