Anyone try this bullet?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Anyone try this bullet?

Postby 07Kingpin » Sun May 29, 2022 7:49 am

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10101 ... 18#reviews

Looking at this for use in an AR platform, figure PC'd at areasonable velocity it may work well.

Thoughts?
07Kingpin

Re: Anyone try this bullet?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 29, 2022 6:35 pm

I’ll definitely be trying it out. Thanks for the heads up.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm

For my edification: If you powder coat cast boolits, does that eliminate the need for a gas check?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 29, 2022 8:17 pm

You can do both actually. That’s my plan, if I can ever get caught up on my higher priority projects. I’m still six years behind on my list. Even as I whittle it away on one end, it just gets longer on the other end.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon May 30, 2022 12:12 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:You can do both actually. That’s my plan, if I can ever get caught up on my higher priority projects. I’m still six years behind on my list. Even as I whittle it away on one end, it just gets longer on the other end.

So, do you stake the gas check before powder coating or after?

I know what you mean about project overload. I have literally 5 or 6 calibers to work on and our late to non-existent spring up here has finally cut loose, bringing a backlog of house related projects to bare their teeth. Now temps are in the beautiful upper 60's lower 70's. IE perfect shooting weather and I'm playing catchup ball with chores. I still manage to find time to shoot Trap every Monday evening and Rimfire BR matches every other Thursday but that doesn't equate to load development range days for my four centerfire projects. I don't look forward to finally get windows of opportunity with temps in the upper 80s or lower 90's, with waiting for the barrel to cool between shots, Lately, with my lack of physical condition makes the weekly mowing effort into a two day affair. I couldn't wait for retirement to have time to devote to my favorite pastime, only to find my mobility issues a hindrance. All revved up and too compromised to pop. Should have retired sooner before my wheels fell off. My wife got me this sign for the mancave door:

LOL

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 30, 2022 10:30 am

Most of what I’ve been reading indicate that you can powder coat the bullet first then you can apply the gas check. After that you run it through a Sizer to make sure it’s all ready to go and that’s it. My cousin brought me about 30 pounds of pure lead scraps from race car ballast weights so I need to melt that into ingots and test it for BH. The preliminary test I ran on some of the scraps shows that it is a Brinnel hardness of about 8 to 10. Which tells me it is really pure. I still need to test it for zinc or nickel but I doubt there’s any in it. The good news is my shop is totally finished and now I’m trying to get everything organized and set up. I finally got my Lyman 4500 and it is now installed on the bench. As far as casting goes, the shop is ready. It’s just that there’s so many other chores to do that are more pressing, I just can’t find the time. I just found a hole in the roof of my tack room in the barn this year, and I’ve got to fix that. But that meant moving a lot of stuff out of the tack room because it was getting wet. And there’s some wood damage that I’m going to have to repair. I’m not a happy camper. My gator spends more time in the shop than it does out on adventures. I need it to move stuff from the barn back up to the storage pod but John Deere is dragging their feet trying to figure out what’s wrong with the clutch. I’m beginning to regret buying this gator.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby howa-doing » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:42 pm

i have that mold in the OP

just got a howa mini
made up a few samples out of ''left overs''
of the 3 i try this bullet seemed to feed the best
all others were finicky

this bullet is ''base''...no gas check