Large Primer 450 BM Hornady Brass

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Large Primer 450 BM Hornady Brass

Postby drayks+ » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:56 am

"Al in MI" your prayers have been answered. I just got off the phone with Customer Service at Hornady and their Support Rep told me that within the past 6 months, they made a running change in production to go to LARGE RIFLE primers in 450 BM. So stock up if you like the SMALL primers or hold off and inspect if you want the newer LARGE primer brass cases. drayks
drayks+

Postby plant_one » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:24 am

thats wild.

i wonder if it was driven by actual data, or simply by primer availability. ie: with the shortages, LR primers have been a bit more available than SR/SRM and that caused the change.

that or the demand for SR/SRM was higher and therefore produced a "false" availability issue - simply put they dont produce as much LR primer ammo vs SR/SRM ammo and therefore it was done to balance out the supply/demand curve for both and make meeting production quota's simpler.

as most of us know... SRM like 7½ or 450 ignite the powders we use just fine. my data for both shows them to be close enough that i could intermix them and have a hard time picking out which loads were which.
plant_one

Postby s4s4u » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:38 pm

drayks+ wrote:"Al in MI" your prayers have been answered. I just got off the phone with Customer Service at Hornady and their Support Rep told me that within the past 6 months, they made a running change in production to go to LARGE RIFLE primers in 450 BM. So stock up if you like the SMALL primers or hold off and inspect if you want the newer LARGE primer brass cases. drayks

Well, better late than never. When I got started with the 450 I thought about converting 284 brass because I have far more large primers than small and not as many guns that use them. Found out it was likely more trouble than it was worth so just went with what was available.
s4s4u

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:03 am

Its about time....now just need to get Starline to get on line and start make LP brass....

The 5 gallon bucket of brass I have with SP is going to go down the road now....
coyote wacker

Postby dantiff3 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:39 am

I'll gladly recycle them for you. Do you want my address? :lol:
dantiff3

Postby plant_one » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:45 am

dantiff3 wrote:I'll gladly recycle them for you. Do you want my address? :lol:

ditto - i'd even pay shipping, or drive to you to pick them up to save the hassle of going to the P.O. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby dantiff3 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:29 am

I personally don't mind SR primer pockets in this cartridge. I can't see any benefit to one over the other as far as performance is concerned. Chances are, this won't end up on the ground (at my local range) like pistol brass often does. so it won't plague me to death like my 45 acp range pickup brass does. That irritates the crap outta' me! :twisted:
dantiff3

Postby drayks+ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 am

Has anyone besides me seen the LARGE primer Hornady brass since October? I would hate to think no one has inspected or not noticed their brass. drayks+
drayks+

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b