Bear Creek Ballistics 240HV loading experience

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Bear Creek Ballistics 240HV loading experience

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:21 am

Cutright wrote:Thanks for the information and I will take your knowledge and lower my load back down to the 37gr. It was the accuracy I was looking for, not the velocity, and definitely not the pressure! Thanks again

It fun to experiment to try to get that "Perfect Load" just need to respect the limitations given when it comes to pressure....remember the AR-15 was built for one reason as a "fighting gun" in with the little 5.56 in "rat" caliber....in comparison the 450 Bushmaster started out as a fat 284 Winchester cut and stuffed to fit....
I can say I have only seen 2 AR-15's damaged in the 450 Bushmaster but 6 in 6.8 SPC every time it has been bolt lugs braking....luckily no one was hurt....

Also remember if a load you are using is LARGER than a published load by a reliable source with "pressures".... don't give the powder charge because somebody will try it....because most people just don't read everything and understand what they read....

We live in a society of instant gratification sorry to say reloading doesn't fit there and never will....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:12 pm

coyote wacker wrote:It fun to experiment to try to get that "Perfect Load" just need to respect the limitations given when it comes to pressure....remember the AR-15 was built for one reason as a "fighting gun" in with the little 5.56 in "rat" caliber....in comparison the 450 Bushmaster started out as a fat 284 Winchester cut and stuffed to fit....
I can say I have only seen 2 AR-15's damaged in the 450 Bushmaster but 6 in 6.8 SPC every time it has been bolt lugs braking....luckily no one was hurt....

Also remember if a load you are using is LARGER than a published load by a reliable source with "pressures".... don't give the powder charge because somebody will try it....because most people just don't read everything and understand what they read....

We live in a society of instant gratification sorry to say reloading doesn't fit there and never will....

Amen to that! It used to make my blood run cold when I saw Wildcatter (RIP) post some of the suicide runs he had done, especially when he once told me "I've blown up more guns than you'll ever own." followed by "You got to break a few eggs to find that perfect omelet. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll reiterate that this caliber is more than plenty lethal with the original 39k psi loads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:27 am

Yes. Wildcatter (Timothy LeGendre RIP) was an amazing man. Gone too soon.
I’ll never forget how he shared his knowledge and his encouragement when he was coaching me through those
test runs of the 230 grain full metal jacket flat points. I would’ve never had the confidence to have done that
blistering load run by myself.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby duckhunt » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:15 pm

FSJeeper wrote:44 grains of H110 and the Bear Creek 240 HV bullet is a consistent one ragged hole group round at 100 yards.

Thanks for the load details. I finally got out to the range with these bullets and can confirm exactly the same results with this same load in a CVA Scout.

It averaged 2584 fps with 44.0 gr of H110 with a COL of 2.6" and a Rem 7 1/2 primer in Starline brass.

This will be my go to load for this rifle. I'm expecting this bullet to be devastating on whitetails next month.
duckhunt

Postby Stratofisher » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:29 pm

Tried the 44.0 gr of the H110 at a 2.578 COL which matches the factory rounds with the 240 HV. Had some pretty big velocity spread and slightly less velocity at a max of 2510fps in my CVA CASCADE XT. Factory rounds are consistent 2525fps. Used a Lee factory crimp and was wondering how most are doing this round in terms of COL and crimp. The 100fps spread was a bit much for me. Looking for any words of advice for those that have figured this out.
Stratofisher

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:22 am

did you use your expander die? if so, try it without it.

also, what primer are you using?
Al in Mi

Postby Stratofisher » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:00 pm

Al in Mi wrote:did you use your expander die? if so, try it without it.

also, what primer are you using?

Used the expander die and using the Remington 7.5 as noted on the load sheet from Bear creek.
Stratofisher

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:27 am

Skip the expander, lightly deburr case mouth and seat the bullet. We're trying to get as much "neck" tension on the bullet as possible to bring that ES down.

What brand die set do you have?

If you can, get the inside measurement of the case mouth after sizing.
Al in Mi

Postby Stratofisher » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:41 am

I have both Redding and Hornady 450BM dies. Used the Hornady with the last set I loaded. Got the Hornady mainly because of the bullet seating capability to change out the stem for a high BC bullet stem. Have not used the Redding set yet.
Stratofisher

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 pm

Try the Hornady taper crimp die, .473-.474 at the mouth.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b