Full forum sizing

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Full forum sizing

Postby overtheir » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:13 pm

OK question I have 45 cal smokeless muzzle loader and just started to full form the projectiale to the barrel it is used withpout a sabot , i know we are talking about muzzle loader most people feel this helps the performs of the muzzle loader , so i was wondering would it work for the bushmaster same bullets ? . thanks
overtheir

Re: Full forum sizing

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:15 pm

overtheir wrote:OK question I have 45 cal smokeless muzzle loader and just started to full form the projectiale to the barrel it is used withpout a sabot , i know we are talking about muzzle loader most people feel this helps the performs of the muzzle loader , so i was wondering would it work for the bushmaster same bullets ? . thanks

As long as they're .451-.452 in diameter, have at it. The 300gr SST/ML are a sabot intended bullet and they shot fine from my 20" 1:24 bushy. The only exception that I can think of are those
Power Belt bullets with the nylon or rubber or whatever skirts on them. I wouldn't expect them to work right.

Remember, we love pictures and Range Reports.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:32 am

full forming? as in pushing it thru the barrel stub to impress the rifling on the bullet?

or just sizing the bullet to a particular diameter in a smooth sided die?

If your using .458 bullets and sizing them down it will work, believe Mr Hoot and/or others here have tried that with the 325gr FTX.

Powerbelts are plated bullets I believe, I'd shy away from anything plated unless the velocity is kept low low.
Al in Mi

Postby coyote wacker » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 am

You would need a section of barrel cut from the rifle the bullet was going to be shot in....all muzzleloaders that shoot pre-rifled slugs push them threw a small piece of barrel that is from the barrel when it was made....there is also a mark you put on the bullet to align it with the rifling in the barrel so they go in the same place ever time....

Like to know how your going to align the rifling you put into a bullet so when you fire it goes in the same grooves its very important not every groove is the same on a barrel....I could see it done in a single shot turn the cartridge until it falls in place I have made rimfires cases that use centerfire primers in single shots....a bolt or semi-auto there's no way your going to get it even close some of the time....

Also pressure would be lower with the same load with a pre-rifled bullet than a standard bullet....not needing to create grooves when firing a pre-rifled bullet....it would take much more powder to get the same velocity in a pre-rifled bullet also....so a larger cartridge would be needed to get the same velocity....
coyote wacker

Postby s4s4u » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm

CW has it pegged. It wouldn't be practical with a cartridge unless you had a single shot firearm short chambered with no leade so the bullet could be lined up into the lands. There is really no practical reason to do so.
s4s4u

Postby overtheir » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:11 pm

No this is a smooth die no rifling pressed into the bullet , it sizes it to the bore
overtheir

Postby s4s4u » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:15 am

overtheir wrote:No this is a smooth die no rifling pressed into the bullet , it sizes it to the bore

So you are swaging down .458" bullets to .452"? That is a fairly common practice. Carry on!
s4s4u

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:28 am

overtheir wrote:No this is a smooth die no rifling pressed into the bullet , it sizes it to the bore

With a muzzleloader "Full Form" is when you add the rifling to a bullet with a section of rifled barrel before loading....

All your doing is "Sizing" the bullet....for a 450 BM if your "die" is .451"-.452" go at it....but there is a lot of variation in 45 caliber muzzleloader barrels I've seen them from .450"-.458".....I would "Size" and check a bullet and see the size before loading....
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:55 am

When you do it for a ML makes it slide down the bore semi snug alongwith a wad to make solid ignition. If your bore is a bit bigger, you knurl them up and size accordingly.

Personally I don't see it making a difference in a cartridge seeing your jullet is already at or close to groove diameter as it is, but could be wrong. When the big light hits, that bullet will obutrate to fill the groove. Looking forward to your results if you try it thou.
Al in Mi

Postby overtheir » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks Guys i relize what the sizing does for a muzzle loader just thought what would happen with the bushmaster. Mario
overtheir

Return to Reloading for the 450b