Hornady 450 bushy podcast

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady 450 bushy podcast

Postby teddy_d » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:06 pm

If you fellas haven't listened to the Hornady podcast that covers this cartridge and specifically the AR platform you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Now they just need to offer a lead free factory cartridge in 2-3 different weights say 200-250-300.... My wish list... or even the projectiles.
teddy_d

Re: Hornady 450 bushy podcast

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:20 pm

teddy_d wrote:...snip...
Now they just need to offer a lead free factory cartridge in 2-3 different weights say 200-250-300.... My wish list... or even the projectiles.

There's half a dozen or so, lead free bullets available in those weights, for reloading. I like the Barnes 200gr XPB for whitetails. Specifically the ones for the 460
S&W, not the ones with the gaping mouths. Whitetails aren't that hard to kill, even the big 'uns up here.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby teddy_d » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:33 pm

Yes the barnes 200xpb are amazing but difficult to find for the average person. They are currently available as a loaded cartridge 250gr TSX-FB in a couple stores here in southern michigan. Haven't found any XPB bullets from barnes in a couple years, I don't scour the internet looking either.

I've been using the barnes TMZ....

It will be nice when the designer (honrady) of this cartridge produces a leadfree projectile imho. They claim its their top selling "whitetail" cartridge. At this point i'm not the biggest fan of eating lead spall. :|
teddy_d

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:24 pm

Boy, you weren't kidding. I hit all my regular trap lines and nobody has them in stock! I don't know what to make of that. Makes me wonder what Barnes is up to?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 am

teddy_d wrote:Now they just need to offer a lead free factory cartridge in 2-3 different weights say 200-250-300.... My wish list... or even the projectiles.

Big problem with a 300 gr. mono-metal is the size....it will be so large that to much case capacity will be lost seating the bullet to the proper depth....also with mono-metal bullets you can go down in weight compare to lead-core bullets you just don't need the weight....

I've shot several 500 lbs + bears, 1000 lbs + bison several bull elk and bull moose all with Cutting Edge Bullets 250 gr Raptor....there's just no need for a bullet in the 450 BM that is properly constructed heaver made of mono-metal than there 250 gr.....
I would shoot any animal short of elephant with a CEB 250 gr Raptor....there just the best made bullet .....period.....

I'am trying to get CEB to make a 180-200 gr Raptor ....I'am favoring a 180 gr just a little more muscle than there 160 gr Raptor.....
coyote wacker

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:21 am

teddy_d wrote:If you fellas haven't listened to the Hornady podcast that covers this cartridge and specifically the AR platform you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Link?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:16 pm

Link to YouTube
Hoot

Postby teddy_d » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:28 pm

Yes I understand mono bullets and weights. I,m not the only hunter using a 450 bushy, and an AR is not the only option. People use the 450 for grizzly country as a viable choice. I stand by 200-250-300 grain weights as a starting point for a wish list. Hornady has the premier engineering staff and testing facility.

Yes I understand mono bullets and seating depth and case capacity.

It would be nice if the designer of said cartridge and also largest manufacture of 450 ammo (their claim and bragging point) would release a few options in LEAD FREE....

Kinda makes sense no? As more states and conscientious hunters go lead free its an obvious evolution.

:mrgreen:
teddy_d

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm

Thanks Hoot. I watched some of it. But it began to sound like Hornady was trying to take all the credit and very little going to Timothy. Clowns.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:40 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Thanks Hoot. I watched some of it. But it began to sound like Hornady was trying to take all the credit and very little going to Timothy. Clowns.

I didn't listen/watch it. Just found it to link for others. I intend to, eventually. We're getting dumped on up here and then the bottom is slated to fall out (MN for below zero) of the temps for a couple days. Long ways to shooting season at this pace. Damn you groundhog!

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b