Absolutely exhausted!!!

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Absolutely exhausted!!!

Postby cgn526 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Ok. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks. Got a 450b upper with a 20" barrel enroute along with dies and some brass. There's a ton of info here, but today I started reading the calguns thread. I made it to page 15 and now I'm throwing in the towel. I'm utterly exhausted with the information, history, and extremely cool results I've seen. I'll have to finish the thread later when I'm not crosseyed. BTW, I'm interested in any data concerning the Lee 452-300 RFN cast bullet. I've got about a hundred of 'em already cast and gaschecked on my bench. I'll be starting with 1680 and or 110. Whew! :shock:
All I can say is "WOW"!! You guy's are something else! Your building Clocks! and all I want to know is What time it is! - GunNut (in a Calguns post)
cgn526

Re: Absolutely exhausted!!!

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:59 am

I'm not a cast boolit enthusiast, but IIRC, there is a concern with the standard .45 caliber gas checks. Their height being less than the gas port diameter. Some people are concerned that as the bullet passes the port, there is a moment when the front of the check has not passed the opening before the rear does, allows a gas cutting condition to exits for a brief moment. As such, there is at least one (or more) member(s) getting custom checks made that are taller, or at least the dies to make his(their) own, I don't recall. There's a thread around here on it with recent activity, so it shouldn't be buried too far, if at all.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:40 pm

cgn526 wrote:BTW, I'm interested in any data concerning the Lee 452-300 RFN cast bullet. I've got about a hundred of 'em already cast and gaschecked on my bench. I'll be starting with 1680 and or 110.

cgn526-

Here are some helpful threads on cast bullets that should be worth your reading time. Note that one of them is specific to the Lee 452-300 bullet.

Be careful working with 1680 and 110. Both are ball powders, and they have some odd and erratic behaviors in the 450B when the amount of powder isn't balanced with several other factors. If you get a hangfire, or see a lot of unburned powder, stop right there. There are some threads on this forum warning about this.

When you have completed some shooting with your cast bullets, please report back to this forum, and maybe this thread, about how things worked out for you.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby cgn526 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Ok, finally finished the Calguns thread. Maybe I'll be able to see again one day soon! Seriously, got my upper in today and I'm excited about getting things going. I'm working a deal on a Nikon Omega to top it with. I notice several folks are using PEPR mounts. I don't happen to have one on hand so I guess some medium rings will have to work. I'm using a DPMS lower I already have with a standard A2 stock. I'm interested in recoil dampeners and a recoil pad so suggestions are welcome there. I appreciate the advice Hoot and the links Pitted Bore. I've read about the gas cutting issue. I'm thinking that not all gas checks are created equal. We just need to figure out which ones are taller than others. Maybe something intended for the 45/70 would "roll up" a little higher on a .452 bullet. I haven't measured the ones I have on hand yet. I'm planning on picking up some lil gun at some point as so much success has been had with it here. Can't do anything yet, I don't have a single small rifle primer on my bench, so I've got to track some down first.

Thanks,
Gary
All I can say is "WOW"!! You guy's are something else! Your building Clocks! and all I want to know is What time it is! - GunNut (in a Calguns post)
cgn526

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am

The easiest answer is the Sims slip-on recoil pad. It isn't quite as neat looking as a fitted pad but it works to both soak up the recoil and lengthen the A2 stock. Walmart carries them.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 am

BayouBob wrote:The easiest answer is the Sims slip-on recoil pad. It isn't quite as neat looking as a fitted pad but it works to both soak up the recoil and lengthen the A2 stock. Walmart carries them.

If you know of one of your local Walmarts that doesn't turn over inventory quickly, they have a Winchester branded slip-on that is a Sims, but at about half the price you'll pay for a Sims. There's a thread on it here, somewhere. Just search on limbsaver winchester.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 am

Welcome to the madhouse cgn526, I've been waiting about 8 months now for Pat Marlin to make me a custom check maker that produces taller checks. It's real easy to get cast to group 2" - 3" @ 100, and there is no leading issue at all in the chrome lined bore. I see many cast boolit groups with three shots tight, and two flyers which lead me to the theory that the checks were getting disrupted somewhat on the way past the gas port. We'll see. I did get some leading on the back of the bolt, where the carbon builds up, when using plain based bullets so the port is definitely part of the equation.

I'm in Bluffton, SC just across the river from Savannah. Got any pigs over your way?

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby cgn526 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks for the tips, I'll look for the slip on limbsaver or winchester equivalent. BD1 we don't have a real "huntable" population of pigs around me. They run the creek bottoms, but not in enough numbers to target 'em. The lack of agriculture in my area dampens their numbers a bit. We see 'em from time to time while deer or turkey hunting, but mostly just see their tracks. My biggest interest in the 450 is for a large meplat bullet in the 1800-2000 fps range for anchoring Whitetails. A deer that makes it more than 75-100 yards in our creek bottoms is 50/50 as to whether it'll be recovered. I've hit 'em with everything from the 300 mag back down to the 6.5 swede and have had my best success with the 35 Remington using the 220 gr Speer bullets designed for the Whelen. They don't expand much, but don't need to. If you get a whitetail inside of 150 yards with that combo it's DRT (dead right there). Hopefully this'll be the same kind of medicine. I've had some limited success with the 44 mag in a Ruger deerstalker, but you're limited a little in finding bullets that will hold together. As some have noted on here you can run the pistol bullets too fast. There's a couple bullets out there for the 444 that do the trick. The 450 should be a great leap forward for the large caliber semi-auto. The energies being achieved by some of y'all are astounding.
cgn526

Postby bushmeister » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm

cgn526 wrote: My biggest interest in the 450 is for a large meplat bullet in the 1800-2000 fps range for anchoring Whitetails. A deer that makes it more than 75-100 yards in our creek bottoms is 50/50 as to whether it'll be recovered. I've hit 'em with everything from the 300 mag back down to the 6.5 swede and have had my best success with the 35 Remington using the 220 gr Speer bullets designed for the Whelen. They don't expand much, but don't need to. If you get a whitetail inside of 150 yards with that combo it's DRT (dead right there). Hopefully this'll be the same kind of medicine.

I think you will be quite pleased... even with factory rounds. ;)
bushmeister

Return to Reloading for the 450b