Crimp & neck tension

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Crimp & neck tension

Postby BD1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:39 pm

I've had pretty good luck loading the 250 grain FTX and the Sierra 250 grain JHP in cut down .284 brass using no expander, and no side crimp, just the Hornady taper crimp die to .478 You have to be careful to help the Hornady seating die align the bullet to the case before you seat it or the mouth of the case will scrape some copper. I never use the Hornady expander die anymore as it's too large in diameter, and there's no easy way to polish it down. I use a Lyman "M" die to expand cases for the .453 cast boolits just enough to seat them without shaving lead, and then side crimp them. I haven't had any good results using the Hornady brass without a side crimp.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Siringo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Has your poor results with Hornaday brass been with all bullets or just cast. If just cast -- I would suspect there is not as much bullet pull associated with the lead versus a jacket. I have mainly been using jacketed .452's and I do not have any issues with the jacketed bullets and I taper crimp only (as long as I do not rechamber the same round over and over again). With any bullet less than .452, I size only and do not use an expander die --
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 pm

The problems I've had with the hornady brass were all due to bullet jump upon chambering, both cast and jacketed. The side crimp solves the issue. IMHO the Hornady brass is too thin to provide proper neck tension without the side crimp.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Siringo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to post this -- but I have come across something interesting.

A little history first. I recent built up a rifle in the 6.8 SPC for my son. We have just starting shooting it and only had some Remington factory ammo. One round did not go off (must be loaded on the same line that their 22 ammo is made!).

Any way, I pulled the cartridge apart tonight and low and behold, the bullet has a mastic around it to hold it into the cartridge case. It took several firm raps with the puller to get the bullet out.

We had discussed this earlier -- maybe on the calguns site -- but would this work for the 450B. Anyone want to comment?

Siringo

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 am

I recently was pulling bullets out of some lake city 09 stuff and they had this sealant and them as well. My biggest question is do I really want to shoot a bullet dipped in some kinda tar down my barrel. Same with loctite- it cant be good.
Mike

Postby Siringo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 am

Gets burned off easily. Military uses it to waterproof ammo. I just thought it was odd that Remington used this on commercial ammo.

Based on reading on the NET -- this is a form of asphalt. Anyone know exactly the type of material and where to get it. We then set up HOOT to test it for us!
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Siringo wrote:Gets burned off easily. Military uses it to waterproof ammo. I just thought it was odd that Remington used this on commercial ammo.

Based on reading on the NET -- this is a form of asphalt. Anyone know exactly the type of material and where to get it. We then set up HOOT to test it for us!

It's called Ballistics GUM. A very similar product can be found with a product used to heal wounded trees, it too is a black gum. All Military Ammo uses it and untold trillions of rounds have not hurt any barrel. I have used it successfully, it does increase Bullet-Pull, but alas, tis difficult to apply, unless expensive production equipment is deployed. Hence, the mother of invention, created the LeGendre Side Crimp, and bullet pull became much less of an issue..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 pm

I found you can use Ortho Pruning sealer. Got some in my garage and after I get 5 fired cases, I am going to glue some bullets in (cases will not be sized, primed or loaded) just to see what happens. Curiosity ya know! Even Lake City Match ammo was glued in. Just another tedious process. Maybe this can be added to using 284 brass!!!!!! That was a sarcastic joke!
Siringo

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b