Crimp & neck tension

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Crimp & neck tension

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:01 pm

gunnut wrote:Here Ya go Wildcatter!

Wildcatter wrote:
Siringo wrote:
By the way -- during my range session today is made up some 45 gr. Lil'gun loads with a Hornady 230 gr. TC (encapsulated one). Ejected of fired cases was very weak, sometimes dumping the brass on the shooting bench and other times sending them out a couple of feet. I have sooting all the way down the case. Group size was more like a pattern. Could there be that much difference between the round nose and the TC? I don't think I was getting a good burn and 45 grs. is about all the case will hold. My OAL was 2.1 inches.

I repeat Gentlemen; most sooting usually is a function of not enough pressure. The question to ask, is why? Could be not enough powder, not enough bullet pull, or the powder burn rate is to slow, or the sum of all of these symptoms at the same time. Assuming everything else is safely reloaded to spec; these suggestions usually are the major culprits. Low pressures can cause the case not to seal in the chamber and can become so bad that the gases escaping down the sides of the case can cause the case to collapse from the side. I’ve never seen this in the 450, but it is always possible. A little sooting, at and around the case mouth is Normal and is seen in all rimless straight cases (45acp/9mm etc.). Using faster burning powders, ala, ‘lil gun/296 and others, usually keeps sooting to a minimum. AA1680, needs a stout crimp and allot of powder to seal properly, but then a little sooting can still be visible, but this should cause you no alarm and AA1680 has the additional benefit of driving the speeds up.

Something else about crimping vs. bullet creep, consider. Using a drill motor, I have chucked up the cutter of a hand held tubing cutter (every hardware store has them)and with a stone have nicely rounded off the sharp cutting edge. The cutter on the tubing cutter usually is held to the tool with a screw. Take the cutter out insert a longer screw; put a jam nut on the opposite side and you are now ready for the drill/lathe chuck. Any kind of stone will work; anything from one from the front yard or a chunk of cement, to something you buy from the hardware, just so long as it is on hard side. Now you have a nice little tool to roll a heavy crimp into the bullet at nearly any location you desire (Because we head space on the case mouth, you must stay well away from the case mouth. The crimp is best done towards the bullet base, but not on the base, bullet bases are critical to accuracy.) and is as good as any, so called standard roll crimp, something we cannot use at our case mouths. It will very slightly shorten the case length, so don’t get carried away. Keep the crimp fairly consistent, that is to say, location and pressure. Measure the final case length to see if you made it too short or have not put on enough crimp. Pull a couple of bullets and look to see if you have dented the bullet sides, you actually want this denting. This type of crimp is particularly useful when using solids. I put a groove into the solid at the spot I want to roll the crimp into, using this method. Lead based bullets do not need such a grove, as the crimp squeezes into the side of the bullet. Those long heavy bullets seem to thrive with this method of crimping, of course I still tapper crimp. After a little practice The Side Roll Crimp, as I am wont to call it, is easy to do and to keep somewhat consistent and accuracy is not adversely affected, even if you aren’t particularly consistent, yea even sometimes accuracy is made better.

Safety First…t

gunnut, I hope you don't mind that I fixed the quotes so that it's obvious what's happening in the conversation.

Nope don't mind at all, I need all the help I can get. This dissertation, from Cal-Guns, was one before I reveled my side crimp ideas using an altered LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE. Thanks Gunnut, now we need the one I did about the LFC Die and our new readers will be well served and on the road to better..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm

This past weekend I was doing some testing with 300 gr bullets (I will put that post someplace else) and I was using a 300 gr. Hornady XTP/Mag. I was using a Sig Mag and they really prefer pointed bullets because the round is not tipped up as much as a Bush Mag. Anyway, I had a jam when the cartridge just rammed into the front of the magazine well. The bullet set back in the case, but I thought that it was still shootable. WHOW! This was the first time I had any sense of pressure. Case head expansion brought the OD at the extractor groove to .50 inches. Most cases (which have been used numerous times) are at .497/.498. The primer was so flat and expanded it looks like a large Rifle Primer. I will post a pic when I have a chance.

My thought on all of this -- not only do we need to have good ignition, we also need to secure the bullet well enough to prevent setback.
Siringo

Postby gunnut » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Sure! No problem! fix what ever you want!
Thanks to this group from calguns and now this board I have gotten my 284 cases to function flawlessly!!
My problem now is I worked up to 42grn. of Lil Gun under a 230 fmj using the FCD and got a slap on the cheek from a stout load!! 42grns??? I was up to 45 with the factory brass and taper crimp!!! I backed off to 40grns. Great load!
Just wondering if anyone is looking into the effects of FCD? I feel it has a very dramatic effect! Maybe some side by side comparisons with the taper crimp and the modified 47-70 Factory crimp.
I would. But, I don't have the proper equipment yet. No chrono.
gunnut

Postby halfslow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Howdy.
Been following the discourse since my thumper upper came in last week.
In anticipation of getting dies and a mold, I popped the insert out of the Lee taper crimp die I already had.
I am narrowing the fingers to touch about 50% of the case mouth.
Soon as the temp in the garage drops a bit I will clean up the sides of the fingers.
If it proves necessary, I can always make the narrow portion of the fingers extend down some more.
Attachments
ColletAfterCut.jpg
ColletAfterCut.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 13625 times
halfslow

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 am

halfslow wrote:Howdy.
In anticipation of getting dies and a mold, I popped the insert out of the Lee taper crimp die I already had.
Soon as the temp in the garage drops a bit I will clean up the sides of the fingers.
If it proves necessary, I can always make the narrow portion of the fingers extend down some more.

Welcome Halfslow, good to have ya aboard,

Isn't that the insert for a Factory Crimp Die? My taper crimp dies have no insert. Just wondering, there's always something new under the sun, made for us to have fun...Hey ain't I the Poet..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby halfslow » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes.
That is the guts out of the Lee Factory Taper Crimp Die.
Had one around not being used.
Won't be able to test anything until I get dies and components however.
halfslow

Postby MudBug » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:06 pm

halfslow wrote:Howdy.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for doing this. Is it so that the crimp only happens on part of the case, leaving the rest for headspacing?
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby halfslow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Is it so that the crimp only happens on part of the case, leaving the rest for headspacing?

Yes.
It appears that this cartridge needs a high bullet pull to function reliably and to make the powder burn properly. And a firm crimp is one way to get a better grip on the bullet. How to get firm crimp and headspace on the case mouth at the same time? Segmented crimp.
It is probable that the taper crimp will be too shallow to do the job, and we may have to go to a segmented roll crimp to get a high bullet pull.
The Lee die is soft and easy to work on, so I figured to start here.
If we need to modify a roll crimp die, so be it. They are not so readily available as the Lee # 90856.
halfslow

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 am

Halfslow..............your going full throttle now ;) it should work neat & sweet, and leave "four little ears" to headspace off of.

May I suggest replacing that nut Lee supplies, with a locking type one so once she's set, she's good to go after that.
Al in Mi

Postby halfslow » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 am

May I suggest replacing that nut Lee supplies, with a locking type one so once she's set, she's good to go after that.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, that is a good idea.
I like my Lee turret press, but have the 3 holer.
This cartridge will need 4 dies when using this taper crimper, so the 4th dies goes into and out of a single stage press.
I'll bet Handloader Magazine had an article on this very subject.
Need to look and see.
halfslow

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b