Crimp & neck tension

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Crimp & neck tension

Postby gunnut » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Just a thought! This side crimp is very effective. I'm thinking of taking a factory loaded round and putting a side crimp on it. This might be a way of judging how effective it really is! Or, a way of shearing off some locking lugs! LOL! All opinions are welcome on this one!
gunnut

Postby Siringo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:17 pm

What kind of accuracy is everyone getting with the side crimp? What about case life?
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 am

Hey! Side crimping the factory rds, now that's a good idea. Of course, imo, the factory rds are way low in pressure, so I personally would not hesitate doing this. And when I get my pressure equipt.(should be here next month), we can get a good before and after look at the effects of the LeGendre (am i tooting my own horn or just tooting?) side crimp..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Your Darn Tootin! I'll take the Tea leaf approach for now. Shooting one with and one without. 5 times, 10 total.
Not much of a difference in the crimp. I can barely see the it. factory is .478 before and .475 after the side crimp. .05 back from the case mouth.
We'll see what happens at the range............ Got to get a chrony!!!
gunnut

Postby DFree » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:06 am

I have crimped factory ammo and it improves velocity by about 100 fps in a 16" 450b according to the crony and accuracy appears better but with a 1 to 4 burris its hard to give a true account of accuracy but I can say that it lessened the vertical stringing that I was getting when firing all rounds from the mag and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer a 200+ yards with this set up here in the fingerlakes area of ny the 200+ is a rare shot most shots are 100 yards or less
DFree

Postby BD1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Dfree,
Where are you in the finger lakes? I'll be in Skaneateles for the next couple of weeks. I've been shooting at the range in Otisco.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby DFree » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:15 pm

I have property at the very southern tip of the fingerlakes national forest just out side of watkins ny and I live 8 miles west of ithaca ny bd1 do you live in ny or just visiting
DFree

Postby slash2 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:39 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Siringo wrote: BTW, we should start to think about standardizing the crimp location, width, depth, etc. for the side crimp. Mine currently is very thin and fairly close to the case mouth, say about .125" Everything, everyone has done to date, has worked great, so if we were to standardize it we could get Lee to run us a batch???

My vote is for the center of the side crimp to be .125 below the case mouth too. That puts it in the second canalur, cannular, canelever, the groove, of the Barnes 200 and 275 gr. bullets and leaves you with a OAL of around 2.23".
/2
slash2

Postby gunnut » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm with ya on the cana thing. I'm at .05 from case mouth. "OOOOH that sounds sexy!@" If you think .125 leaves enough to head space on "ahhhh!" Thats fine with me! Most of the loads I shoot don't have the cana thingie. or IT can put it anywhere you want with custom projectiles. AAAAHHHHH!..............yyeeess!
gunnut

Postby slash2 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 am

I would also suggest that the crimper have round smooth edges that are easier on the brass.

here's some old pictures that show the Lee factory crimper unmodified and then modified so the crimp is narrower and rounded.

I've shot and reloaded cases numerous times with this side crimp and the brass is still holding up fine.
/2
slash2

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b