Questions on Load data and resizing bullets??

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Questions on Load data and resizing bullets??

Postby randyf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

I have been reloading for 20 years , but new to the 450 Bushmaster...........
What powder and bullets are people using?

Also I read about resizing 458 bullets down to 452.
Bullet resizing is new to me.....what equipment do I need?

Also should I buy a 452 die or does the bullet spring a little.....should I buy a 451 die?

Does the jacket lose its bond to the core when resizng jacketed bullets?

Thanks for any info:
randyf

Re: Questions on Load data and resizing bullets??

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Some some idea of bullets, powder, etc check the Knowledge Base HERE

For resizing bullets I've used one of THESE a little bit and it seems to work fine. Some have tried resizing some of the solid brass bullet like Barnes and had to do it in two steps.

I didn't notice any jacket separation.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 pm

MudBug wrote:Some some idea of bullets, powder, etc check the Knowledge Base HERE

For resizing bullets I've used one of THESE a little bit and it seems to work fine. Some have tried resizing some of the solid brass bullet like Barnes and had to do it in two steps. I didn't notice any jacket separation.

Welcome Randy.. AND, The Mudder is the Man and as usual is more correct than I and for the record there has never been any jacket separations to date and Hundreds of guys are doing it, shooting hundreds of thousands of rounds, if any had-had any problems they'd complain loudly. Spring back can be a consideration and does happen a little, but if the cartridge chambers correctly then generally you are good to go.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Pics are the Hornady .458 325 grain FTX resized to .452 I use imperial sizing wax and size them in two steps on my rockchucker with Lee push trough dies, first .454, then .452 No problems. The bullets do get a bit longer. .458 on the left, .452 on the right
Attachments
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG (39.65 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Darn! And the groves are still there. Now if we can get as good of pics as you have done for us, but with some solids, we will put to rest another myth from the Nay-Sayers. Good Job BD. And you and I may have to talk privately with some of these other cast guys about standardizing a side crimp. I know what I want but there are compromises that can be made to this and keep the cast bullet crowd happy.. Hey that's me too..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 am

I have a .454 lee sizing die coming. When I get it I'll size the Barnes bullets I have and get good pics.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Return to Reloading for the 450b