Barnes

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Barnes

Postby slash2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 am

I'd like a 250-300 gr. .452 solid with a wide flat nose for punching all the way through a hog while still allowing you to eat right up to the hole.
/2
slash2

Postby Siringo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey Slash -- where the heck have you been!!!!! Still using the 250 Montana Golds?
Siringo

Postby 45r » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 am

A 200 grain TTSX would be cool and something in the 275 grain weight would be good also.I've shot many deer with their deep HP bullets in 12 gauge sabot ammo(Fed with Barnes expander) and they work so good I don't shoot anything else in my 11-87.I've got rifle like accuracy out to 200 yards and have taken deer that far out with no problems.Everything from Barnes I've tried works great.
45r

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:53 pm

All of your requests are now on the table.

Wow!! What a class act. I've been in allot of Ballistics Labs, but the BARNES LAB takes the cake, really first class all the way. And they even have an underground 300 yard range and are about to extend that to six hundred..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby slash2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:13 am

Siringo wrote:Hey Slash -- where the heck have you been!!!!! Still using the 250 Montana Golds?

I've been playing with my 450-B-Lite round, the .45 Colt, pushing 240 gr Hornady XTP/Mag's at 1800 fps outta my 16" Marlin '94 Lever gun. I gave up on the Montana gold 250's and gave them to a friend, just couldn't make them behave.

I'd really like a 300 gr solid copper with a big flat nose for up close and personal encounters with angry hogs. Recently a hunting buddy of mine and his friend came across a large boar at about 175 yards. He said they hit it 5 times, it went down twice and it still ran off! They tried to cut it off but it got past them, so they went back to where they had shot it and found plenty of blood and bone chips. Off they go following the blood trail, but here's the rub, on the way back to where they had shot the hog my buddy's friend dropped his rifle off at the truck!

They followed this blood trail for about two miles. When they came to a big brush patch my buddy went one way around it and his friend went the other. Well the hog had ran about as far as it wanted and had laid down, and the unarmed friend walked right up on it. My friend hears "John, John it's attacking me! shoot it!" When he gets over to the other side of the brush patch he sees his friend on the ground and the hog between him and his friend, turning to make another pass. He can't shoot because his friend is in the line of fire. Now fortunately the friend had brought his little lap dog terrier along. When the hog made the second charge the dog drew it's attention enough for the big boar to swerve away from the guy on the ground and go towards the dog, it then ran off into a draw, never to be seen again.

The guy was pretty shaken up, he said when it charged him he pushed it off with his hands on it's head and a foot to it's side. that's when he fell down. He said when his hands were on it's head they were extended nearly straight out! They're guessing maybe a 400 pounder! It's probably 500 pounds by now!

Anyway, IF he ever hunts again I bet he'll never follow a blood trail un-armed again!
/2
slash2

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b