Your best target load?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Your best target load?

Postby slash2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Factory? I haven't found anything more accurate.
/2
slash2

Re: Your best target load?

Postby Siringo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree with Slash. Hard to beat factory load.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 am

Siringo wrote:I agree with Slash. Hard to beat factory load.

I said this over on cal-guns, but it merits repeating here for our new crowd. I was told by Bushy that a film crew for the Outdoor Channel had taped a show, where-in a 450b shot a real "Measurable" and verified "ZERO" inches in diameter, 5 shot group, if memory serves. After their research they couldn't find where this has ever been verified before, they then declared it as the most accurate rifle/ammo of all time. I have not seen the show, but you may have and I'd like to hear it if you did.

Having said all this, what one can do, we here on this board can do bedder and will, just you wait and see..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Can someone check this out? After reading and reading posts and the trouble we are having with crimps. I suspect that the 250ftx or what ever hornady calls them Might have a tapper to them to fit their tapper crimp die? I don't have any of these bullets. Just taking a WAG here. An easy way to find out would be to put on on a flat suface and give it a roll.
gunnut

Postby Siringo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 am

Sides are parallel on the 250 gr. FXT.

Other steps can be taken to minimize the bullet jump upon chambering. I make sure the insides of my cases are virtually clean. After sizing, I tumble the cases again to remove any lube that might get into the neck. I also use a swab with MEK on it after tumbling to remove any residue or whatever may be present (MEK removes just about anything) inside the neck -- like polishing rouge.

Another area is I do not chamfer the inside of the case neck (put a bevel on the inside). While this is a common procedure in loading -- especially with lead bullets -- doing so will remove the "edge" that the taper crimp needs to have to lock into the bullet. Pulled factory ammo reveals a sharp edge imbedded in the bullet.

Other curiousities:

1. Are we making too much or this? Our benchmark should be the factory ammo. The bullets do move forward some -- but not to deter accuracy.
a. Is it necessary to have a round that can take repeated chambering with no bullet movement?

2. On the AR's -- should we avoid "extra power" recoil springs as these increase the bolt speed, there-by increasing the speed the cartridge chambers -- creating more momentum -- ala more bullet movement.

3. Is the bullet jump more prevalent in plastic magazines versus metal -- less resistance with the plastic?

4. The heavier the bullet, the more movement. Mass and kinetic energy. Given same bearing surface and diameter, a 300 gr. bullet will move more than a 250 gr.
Siringo

Return to Reloading for the 450b