Why .284?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Why .284?

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:43 pm

wildcatter wrote:Yup, and I've build several. I own a tanker garand, wherein I did a class act installation for an m14 mag to it and it too makes a great weapon, but for shear horse power, the 284 case, with .452's, is a monster killer deluxe, in an ar10, and is unparalleled..t

I'll tell you Tim. I love my 450b, but my .300 WSSM throwing a 150 gr pill at 3000 fps (Ala .300 Win Mag) is gaining ground on it. Forget the higher ME and knockdown factor it brings to the table (depending upon who's calculator you use), but when you throw in the additional bullet BC (.435 vs .250), it opens up the effective range substantially over my 450b. For north woods hunting, I will continue to shoulder my 450b, but give me some open space and the 300 WSSM will probably get the starting position. Still, my heart belongs to my 450b. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b