Why .284?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Why .284?

Postby mnhornet » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:41 pm

I am curious why the 450B was not based off a .308 case. IMO it would be a much more popular caliber option, if the cases were more readily available. It would probably bring the cost to the shooter down quite a bit.
mnhornet

Re: Why .284?

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 pm

mnhornet wrote:I am curious why the 450B was not based off a .308 case. IMO it would be a much more popular caliber option, if the cases were more readily available. It would probably bring the cost to the shooter down quite a bit.

Tim can probably fill a page or two why, but for starts, you can't fit a .452 bullet in a case that barely accommodates a .429 bullet.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm

#2 The 284 has more case capacity.
gunnut

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Hoot wrote:
Tim can probably fill a page or two why, but for starts, you can't fit a .452 bullet in a case that barely accommodates a .429 bullet.

Hoot

mnhornet, you in MN?

FWIW and we've already briefly touched on this, I'd love to see a .308 based straight-walled .429 cartridge. In theory, it would toss 'em around the same velocity as the factory 450b. Think big brother to the venerable Ruger .44 Mag carbine. Tim said he tried it and wound up not pursuing it. IIRC, he has a chamber reamer for one, but good luck finding an affordably priced .429 AR barrel. 450b bolt would work perfect with it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby mnhornet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:09 am

Yep, west metro.
Not sure where I got this idea, thought somebody was working on making a .45 super out of a .308 case. A machinist buddy texted me last night saying he could turn down belted cases .338 and 7mm and make them into .450 cases. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'm in with both feet anyway since I picked up an upper at the fun show last weekend.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 am

I'm in Cheyenne, WY in 70 mph winds and went through a white-out yesterday. They've shut down I-80, so we're sitting it out at the Wally World, in the Camper.

Well, the 308 case is a long 45ACP, but that's not the main reason for scraping it, for the AR anyway. Of course some good reasons have been already mentioned, but the real culprit is the fact that the AR Mag won't keep the cartridges stuffed in. During even mild recoil, they ALL come popping out into the action, making for an embarrassing moment. To function the 308 family of cases, the feed lips are not even close to being adequate..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am

mnhornet wrote:Yep, west metro.
Not sure where I got this idea, thought somebody was working on making a .45 super out of a .308 case. A machinist buddy texted me last night saying he could turn down belted cases .338 and 7mm and make them into .450 cases. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'm in with both feet anyway since I picked up an upper at the fun show last weekend.

mnhornet, I'm west metro as well. Do you belong to the Minnetonka Sportsmen by any chance?

Wally World. Come for the free WiFi, stay for the white-out. Look out for falling prices. ;) Hope that's not coming this way Tim. Winter has overstayed it's welcome this year already. You'd think if they can make 7.62x39 feed reliably, they could make .308 feed reliably...

Hoot
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:58 pm

wildcatter wrote:I'm in Cheyenne, WY in 70 mph winds and went through a white-out yesterday. They've shut down I-80, so we're sitting it out at the Wally World, in the Camper.

Well, the 308 case is a long 45ACP, but that's not the main reason for scraping it, for the AR anyway. Of course some good reasons have been already mentioned, but the real culprit is the fact that the AR Mag won't keep the cartridges stuffed in. During even mild recoil, they ALL come popping out into the action, making for an embarrassing moment. To function the 308 family of cases, the feed lips are not even close to being adequate..t

So, then, could you make this "long 45ACP" function in an AR-10 platform?

How cool would that be!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby mnhornet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 pm

mnhornet, I'm west metro as well. Do you belong to the Minnetonka Sportsmen by any chance?

That would be nice, it looks like a great facility. I'm a member in good standing at the Delano club, and go out to Rainbow with a buddy once in a while.
I'm just south of Delano. I need warm weather, my chicks are out growing my brooder.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:29 pm

BillytheKid wrote:
wildcatter wrote:I'm in Cheyenne, WY in 70 mph winds and went through a white-out yesterday. They've shut down I-80, so we're sitting it out at the Wally World, in the Camper.

So, then, could you make this "long 45ACP" function in an AR-10 platform?

How cool would that be!

Yup, and I've build several. I own a tanker garand, wherein I did a class act installation for an m14 mag to it and it too makes a great weapon, but for shear horse power, the 284 case, with .452's, is a monster killer deluxe, in an ar10, and is unparalleled..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b