load development

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: load development

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Yeah, sorry...my bad on the hijack. Sometimes I just can't shut up and listen quietly.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby rohk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 pm

ok, got 20 more rounds loaded up starting at 50.8, 51, 51.2, 51.4. ready for test this weekend.
rohk

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Here's the Barnes 200 XPB

The weight of the 20 was very close, with 2 that were 200.8gr and the rest +/- .4gr or less.
Length averaged .812 and those hollow points go way down inside to 67% of the total length.
All diameters were spot on at .451

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Oh, man...Hoot!...the look of that "coming" 200gr Barnes load is about to make me go out and start buying stuff for brass reloading! I've been rolling my own shotty shells since I was a kid (grandpa learned me...) 'cause they're so easy to do. I feel myself sliding down that slippery slope... :shock: Can't wait for results, eh!

Deer shall live in fear...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 am

Hoot, what kind of crimp are you using and are you crimping on a canneleur (sp?) or do you need to? I assume you seating to get a 2.225 COL? Can you show a photo of a completed round?
Last edited by Jim in Houston on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 am

Milk jugs...... You need milk jugs.... And a Slow Mo video camera!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 am

Jim in Houston wrote:Hoot, what kind of crimp are you using and are you crimping on a canneleur (sp?) or do you need to? I assume you seating to get a 2.225 COL? Can you show a photo of a completed round?

Jim that will depend upon what I find when I seat a dummy load and chamber it several times to see if any pull occurs. These cases are not easy that way. Too much neck tension is almost an oxymoron. My druthers would be to seat the bullet so that the forward cannelure is buried just at the mouth, then catch it with a simple taper crimp. This is a light bullet for Lil Gun and the longer you can hold it back until it gets fully turned on, the better. If I wasn't out of 2400 and given the .451 diameter, I'd probably go with it. What we need is a temperature stabilized powder that falls between the two.

Robin, I don't have a dedicated video recorder, let alone one with slow motion. I'm stuck using my Olympus C-2100 still camera in video mode and it's a poky 15 fps. The impacts typically comprise 2 frames. :(

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 am

I am trying to talk my cuzin into borrowing his camera. Meanwhile, I am gonna do a bit of research on a pair of cameras. I want to have the capability of having a really good one downrange far enough away to stay safe but with enuff speed and zoom to have some real fun.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks, Hoot. That clears up the crimping question.

I posted another query on the 225 FTX Going the other way too thread, where you have a recipe using Alliant 2400 powder, which you indicate is a better choice than Lil Gun. Is that still good?

You noted there that you are loading to a COL of something less than 2.225. How critical is that?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Thanks, Hoot. That clears up the crimping question.

I posted another query on the 225 FTX Going the other way too thread, where you have a recipe using Alliant 2400 powder, which you indicate is a better choice than Lil Gun. Is that still good?

You noted there that you are loading to a COL of something less than 2.225. How critical is that?

I think I meant that is was acceptable, but I don't think it is the best choice. The 2400 burns way before the bullet reaches the muzzle. I used the COL that allowed the front cannelure to be barely out of sight at the mouth to allow the taper crimp to catch the most of it and still have a lip.

Hoot
Hoot

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b