load development

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: load development

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 am

rohk wrote:Shot the 200 Grain test loads Sunday, pushed them pretty hard. No signs of them disintegrating. Best load 47.6 Grains Lil'gun.

Yes i shanked one. :(

Seems like that's the only part of the group we all can count on. ;)

Congrats on getting them to fly so well. I'd still recommend shooting your next batch over top of a sheet of butcher's paper or newsprint nailed to a 2x2 target board immediately in front of you, to see if you're throwing shards, before you chrony them. For their small size, they still pack a lot of power for a short distance.

Here's where a shard of 230 XTP hit one of my sky screen steel support rods:

And here was almost a ruined day. Luckily,it didn't damage the LCD element, just the protective plastic bezel in front:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby rohk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I know the parts lady at Chorny as she help me get the parts i needed to fix my chrono after I put an arrow clean thru the second sensor. :shock: :lol:
Seriously I am playin cautious. Wellll, kinda. ;)
rohk

Postby rohk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Shot the 200's today, started at 10 yards 5 shots moved to 25 yards 5 shots, all good. then 10 shoots over chrono at 100 yards. all held together.
rohk

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:42 pm

rohk wrote:Shot the 200's today, started at 10 yards 5 shots moved to 25 yards 5 shots, all good. then 10 shoots over chrono at 100 yards. all held together.

I must say, your results with the non-magnum XTPs is certainly different than mine, but se la vie. Perhaps the 200s have more structural integrity than the 230s. I still have 2 boxes of them. I had originally bought them for reloading my 1911 .45 Auto. Glad they worked out so good for you. Should keep the cost of shooting quite reasonable.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby rohk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:11 am

Revisited the 160's loaded my last 10 with Ramshot Enforcer. Only had 10 bullets left so...the test was limited but still pretty happy with the results.
160 gr. Ramshot Enforcer
49 gr. 49.6 gr.
2766 2789
2729 2795
2780 2743
2729 2838
2749 2772
best group
ave. 2750 2787

spread 51 125

rohk

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:37 pm

FYI..It seems this might be a good post area, to further the State-of-the Art, so to speak.. This is not intended to load you down with tons of data, but only to summarize the results, which could be helpful in your further load developments..

So, this week, we shot allot of factory ammo, "WITH" the factory crimp and the same factory loads "WITH" my LeGendre Side Crimp. All from the same lot, to compare the SC to the factory Taper Crimp. The results, though not conclusive, tend to point out some trends, that can have profound effects on our work.

The weapon is an AR-shop gun, in the 20" barreled variety. Also, keep in mind, my personal SC is quite narrow (about .015-.020" from top to bottom) and much deeper than anything I've seen from other Loaders here. I do this by taking the LEE crimping collet and use a Dremel Fiber wheel to open the four slits wider than LEE has them, thus giving me a much deeper crimp.

"WITH" the SC the averages for speed and pressures, were as follows:
speed = 2179fps
SD = 20fps
ES = 49fps
Pressure = 35993psi
SD = 1177 psi
ES = 4084psi
The group size averaged 1.5MOA at 200yds

---------------------

"WITHOUT" the SC the averages for speed and pressures, were as follows:
speed = 2169fps
SD = 16fps
ES = 49fps
Pressure = 34288psi
SD = 421psi
ES = 865psi
The group size averaged 1.0MOA at 200yds

----------------------

As you can see there are some differences. If Bench Rest Accuracy is the goal, then a slight Taper Crimp is the choice. If moderate pressure increases can be tolerated, then the SC comes into play.

In all of our experiments, so far, the Side Crimp dramatically increases bullet-pull and thus gets the powder cooking before bullet release, which makes for better thermal dynamic possibilities or in other words, better powder-burn efficiency.

This efficiency allows us to use much slower powders, thus lowering pressures. When those pressures go down, we can then bring them back up to normal, with a result of dramatic bullet speed increases and their possible benefits.

However, with those speed increases comes degraded accuracy. "BUT", the accuracy at 300yds was the difference of a 3" group vs a 4.5" group. I maintain that, for my needs anyway, that is exceptable, especially with the huge increase in Knock-down capability it gives me. Of course, only I would think that factory speeds weren't enough, which is totally wrong. We kill, using factory recommendations, with deadly aplomb, again-when using factory speeds/pressures/bullets. It's just that I keep planning for the return of the Dinosaur Era. Which, BTW, have you seen any dinosaurs in your AO's, lately? Then, I must be doing a good job, right? So, with the Hoot's, ringing out all the accuracy he can and with me and some others, applying all the speed we can, you dear reader can make your own judgements and assessing your own risks, for as Smokey says.."Only YOU can Prevent a Barrel Rupture" (which can and does happen with high or even low pressures). Keep yourself and your loads safe and reap the rewards or Dangers..

..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Hoot wrote:
rohk wrote:Shot the 200 Grain test loads Sunday, pushed them pretty hard. No signs of them disintegrating. Best load 47.6 Grains Lil'gun.

Yes i shanked one. :(

Seems like that's the only part of the group we all can count on. ;)

Congrats on getting them to fly so well. I'd still recommend shooting your next batch over top of a sheet of butcher's paper or newsprint nailed to a 2x2 target board immediately in front of you, to see if you're throwing shards, before you chrony them. For their small size, they still pack a lot of power for a short distance.

Here's where a shard of 230 XTP hit one of my sky screen steel support rods:

And here was almost a ruined day. Luckily,it didn't damage the LCD element, just the protective plastic bezel in front:

Hoot

Now, shooting up your Chrony, is bad form, 'ol-man. I myself have never done that, ...well not more then one--, er-ah, one--well, ok, not more than one hundred times, are ya Happy Now??!! Wink..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Well it looks like rohk found a winning combo with the 160's!!
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Wildcatter... how about a pic of one of your crimps?
Stealthshooter

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b