Dies for 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Dies for 450

Postby 1377thumper » Sun May 01, 2011 2:36 am

So are the Hornady custom grade new dimension 4-Die Set the way to go? I want to start reloading the 450b so any advice on dies will be appreciated...
1377thumper

Re: Dies for 450

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 01, 2011 5:33 am

From what I've read, Hornady is the only producer of the 450 Bushmaster dies.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 01, 2011 7:50 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:From what I've read, Hornady is the only producer of the 450 Bushmaster dies.

In reality, Tex, is correct. All of the die manufactures will do them on a custom basis, right now, but, for a custom price. Besides Hornady's dies are top notch. Sometime in the near future (what ever that may mean), the other manufactures will offer them in their line up, as standard offerings. We should be dropping a note of desires to the other manufactures, as this will hasten the day of arrival.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am

wildcatter wrote:All of the die manufactures will do them on a custom basis, right now, but, for a custom price. Besides Hornady's dies are top notch. Sometime in the near future (what ever that may mean), the other manufactures will offer them in their line up, as standard offerings.

T-
CH Tool & Die Co is producing 450B dies on a regular basis, according to their web site. Price is $81.38 for a set.

Link to CH4D website

I cannot find on their site whether this is a 4-die set. Besides the set, they list for individual sale a sizing die (neck or full length), expander die, seating die, and taper crimp die. They also list a trim/form die and a reamer die with reamer. These latter two might be useful in forming 450B cases from 284 brass. I'll try to find out what dies are included in the set.

If CH4D furnishes instructions for die use, one hopes the instructions might be more informative than Hornady's.

Have you seen or used the CH4D dies in 450B? Can you offer an opinion of them?

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 pm

pitted bore wrote:...snip... They also list a trim/form die and a reamer die with reamer. These latter two might be useful in forming 450B cases from 284 brass. I'll try to find out what dies are included in the set.

If CH4D furnishes instructions for die use, one hopes the instructions might be more informative than Hornady's.

Thanks.
--Bob

I'd be in for a no-brainer reaming die for .284 brass. A lot depends upon the reamer dimension.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 01, 2011 6:27 pm

pitted bore wrote:
wildcatter wrote:All of the die manufactures will do them on a custom basis, right now, but, for a custom price. Besides Hornady's dies are top notch. Sometime in the near future (what ever that may mean), the other manufactures will offer them in their line up, as standard offerings.

T-
CH Tool & Die Co is producing 450B dies on a regular basis, according to their web site. Price is $81.38 for a set.

Link to CH4D website

I cannot find on their site whether this is a 4-die set. Besides the set, they list for individual sale a sizing die (neck or full length), expander die, seating die, and taper crimp die. They also list a trim/form die and a reamer die with reamer. These latter two might be useful in forming 450B cases from 284 brass. I'll try to find out what dies are included in the set.

Thanks.
--Bob

There ya go, a front line group with std dies for the 450b..

Nope, I've not used the CH4d dies yet, but they come highly recommended and I see their quality, and it's top notch..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Mon May 02, 2011 11:26 am

About my post above (May 01, 2011 10:59 am ):

CH4D responded very promptly to my email question about dies that are included in their 450B die set. A quick response is a good sign of probable satisfaction. The email came from the main man himself, which is an even better sign.

According to Dave, the 450B set includes a sizing die, an expander die, and a seating die. The taper crimp die is optional.

CH4D dies and customer service have received internet reviews that are at least as good or are better than other commercial makers.

The CH4D taper crimp die for the 450B is listed at about $40 purchased separately, but If bought as part of a set might be available at lesser cost. Ask them. I would be tempted to go with their $23 taper crimp die for the 45 ACP as an acceptable substitute. ( Actually, I'd probably use the $11.00 Lee 45 ACP taper crimp die that I reviewed in this forum in January 2011).

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 02, 2011 3:57 pm

pitted bore wrote: I would be tempted to go with their $23 taper crimp die for the 45 ACP as an acceptable substitute. ( Actually, I'd probably use the $11.00 Lee 45 ACP taper crimp die that I reviewed in this forum in January 2011).

--Bob

Yup I have used the 45 ACP dies for taper crimping and bullet seating for years, that is, on our cartridge..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 02, 2011 7:17 pm

wildcatter wrote:
pitted bore wrote: I would be tempted to go with their $23 taper crimp die for the 45 ACP as an acceptable substitute. ( Actually, I'd probably use the $11.00 Lee 45 ACP taper crimp die that I reviewed in this forum in January 2011).

--Bob

Yup I have used the 45 ACP dies for taper crimping and bullet seating for years, that is, on our cartridge..

..t

Hey, Tim. Is that the Lee #90864 carbide crimp die for the 45ACP?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 am

pitted bore wrote:About my post above (May 01, 2011 10:59 am ):

CH4D responded very promptly to my email question about dies that are included in their 450B die set. A quick response is a good sign of probable satisfaction. The email came from the main man himself, which is an even better sign.

According to Dave, the 450B set includes a sizing die, an expander die, and a seating die. The taper crimp die is optional.

CH4D dies and customer service have received internet reviews that are at least as good or are better than other commercial makers.

The CH4D taper crimp die for the 450B is listed at about $40 purchased separately, but If bought as part of a set might be available at lesser cost. Ask them. I would be tempted to go with their $23 taper crimp die for the 45 ACP as an acceptable substitute. ( Actually, I'd probably use the $11.00 Lee 45 ACP taper crimp die that I reviewed in this forum in January 2011).

--Bob

My question to Dave would be what kind of crimp is built into the seating die? If like Hornady, they built a roll crimp into the seating die, then I would doubt their familiarity with the product they designed the dies for. I could forgive Hornady since they didn't care what they sold too much when they were in such a rush to bring the product to market. However, CH had time to study what they were actually designing the die for. What I can't understand is that after having their product out for quite some time and knowing the edit: roll crimp is absolutely the wrong crimp for this caliber, WHY is Hornady still producing it that way? Which die manufacturer in their right mind would produce a product known to cause headspace issues? Perhaps their lawyers calculated the cost of changing the manufacturing process versus the potential cost of a lawsuit and the latter was less costly.

This is all said "tongue in cheek", AKA rhetorically since the case mouth never touches the chamber lip when it is retained up against the bolt face by the extractor. At least mine never has since the day I got it.

Hoot

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Tue May 03, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b