Dies for 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Dies for 450

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Wow, BD. I'm getting all kinds of good ideas from your process. I don't cast lead yet but I am collecting it and I have about thirty pounds of it so far, most of it from the lead washers we use at the plant. The Five gallon bucket is a great idea. I like the screen idea too.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm

BD - great summary of a straight forward cleaning process and how it fits into the reloading sequence. Thanks!
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Jeepejeep » Sat May 21, 2011 9:13 pm

When I was at the NRA Meeting, I talked to one of the guys at the Hornady Stand. I told him how hard it is to find loading dies. He gave me his card and told me to call him after a week or so and he'd see what's up with the dies. I just got around to calling him yesterday and he said they are trying to get them out but demand is unreal. Guess who's buying whole rifles, uppers and tons of 450 BM ammo? The Mexican Government! They claim the 450 in full auto can stop the drug runners cars like nothing else! He said Hornady sent 3 semi's full of 450 ammo to the Mex Federalies 2 days ago. Guess this is why Bushmaster can't keep up with the upper demands also.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby BillytheKid » Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 pm

I don't know if I should be happy or not.

I would like to think this is a good thing, fighting the drug cartels, but, doesn't everything we send to the government of Mexico just end up in the hands of the cartels anyway?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm with Billy the Kid on this one. I'm not at all comfortable knowing that the mexican government has that kind of firepower down on our border here in Texas. With all the chatter about LULAC wanting to retake Texas, it gives me the creeps to know that this weapon is in the hands of the mexican government.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 am

I agree to an extent but really, do you think Mexico will attack the US and try to take over Texas? Very doubtful. They have much larger armament than 450 Bushmasters too so to me it's not really an issue. I'm just thinking they should take care of their US customers first though they probably made a fortune with this deal.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Jeepejeep wrote:When I was at the NRA Meeting, I talked to one of the guys at the Hornady Stand. I told him how hard it is to find loading dies. He gave me his card and told me to call him after a week or so and he'd see what's up with the dies. I just got around to calling him yesterday and he said they are trying to get them out but demand is unreal. Guess who's buying whole rifles, uppers and tons of 450 BM ammo? The Mexican Government! They claim the 450 in full auto can stop the drug runners cars like nothing else! He said Hornady sent 3 semi's full of 450 ammo to the Mex Federalies 2 days ago. Guess this is why Bushmaster can't keep up with the upper demands also.

I've been keeping my mouth shut, but I can confirm this. My question is, the Mexs wanted a AP round, did Hornady build one? I gave them some ideas, but who knows, they could have done anything. One thing I told them was to make their 230gr FMJ to 48,000psi- 2600fps, that is also safe (not to be tried at home), at those speeds and with that FMJ, they act like an AP, with the advantage of using a 230gr HP, also at 2600fps, that will act as a frangible, with no sight change between the two bullets. But who knows what they did?..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Sun May 22, 2011 6:57 pm

BillytheKid wrote:I don't know if I should be happy or not.

I would like to think this is a good thing, fighting the drug cartels, but, doesn't everything we send to the government of Mexico just end up in the hands of the cartels anyway?

It has to be better than letting pawn shops on the border sell it directly to the cartels under US federal supervision, just to find out who gets killed. I guess this way the feds don't have blood on their hands. :?
bushmeister

Postby Jeepejeep » Sun May 22, 2011 8:44 pm

I've been keeping my mouth shut, but I can confirm this. My question is, the Mexs wanted a AP round, did Hornady build one? I gave them some ideas, but who knows, they could have done anything. One thing I told them was to make their 230gr FMJ to 48,000psi- 2600fps, that is also safe (not to be tried at home), at those speeds and with that FMJ, they act like an AP, with the advantage of using a 230gr HP, also at 2600fps, that will act as a frangible, with no sight change between the two bullets. But who knows what they did?..

..t[/quote]

The guy I spoke to did not say anything about bullet changes. Maybe he didn't know or just didn't/couldn't say
Jeepejeep

Postby gunnut » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

.......and the 230FMJs @ 2800fps work great with a good side crimp,full auto, out of the sig 556 mags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAphxmmo89I
gunnut

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b