Cast bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Cast bullets

Postby Siringo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:54 am

I keep trying to post something regarding this and it never seems to go thru. My version keeps getting shorter and shorter.

I have shot a couple hundred commercial cast bullets with much the same results. A few shots grouping OK and then a couple of flyers. All bullets were weighed, sized, ect, ect. and assembled in the cartridges with the same care as I do jacketed bullets -- which shot MOA. I am not a cast bullet expert by any means, but I do know if the nose of the bullet is damaged -- they will still shoot OK. BUT if the base is damaged -- they won't shoot worth a hoot (sorry Hoot!). So -- something is happening to the base/gas check.

If you query the 458S and 50B threads -- you do not find many that are having success with cast bullets. The common thread is the AR15. Which to me points to the gas system. Specifically the gas port size versus the "height" of the gas check.

Pitted Bore has a bolt gun. Maybe we can convince him to shoot a known load that BD has shot and see the results.

I have a technical question maybe someone can answer -- If the bullet passes by the gas hole (.10 inches in diameter) at a velocity of 1600 fps( just chose that) and the gas pressure is 35,000 psi -- is the velocity of the expanding gases enough to pass around the based of the gas check (.075')?

I have a couple of bullets that I dug out of the berm that show damage to the base. I have never found or recovered a gas check with the 450. I have with my 45-70, but never the 450. Has anyone else recovered spent bullets and seen what the bases look like?

Here are a couple of pictures.

NOTE: The damaged portions of the base appear to be in between rifling lands -- right where the gas port in located in my barrel.
Siringo

Re: Cast bullets

Postby wildcatter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Good idea..RING-RING, Pitted Bore.. I'm going to PM him..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b