Making my own Bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Making my own Bullets

Postby MudBug » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:57 pm

wildcatter wrote:
If I remember right you've got a 16" model. If you want to go to a rifle length gas tube, you'll need to block off the existing gas port, install the new rifle length gas tube, gas block, and of course drill a new gas port. To block off the carbine length gas port, any of a number of ways are exceptable.

Maybe this?
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 am

MudBug wrote:
wildcatter wrote:
If I remember right you've got a 16" model. If you want to go to a rifle length gas tube, you'll need to block off the existing gas port, install the new rifle length gas tube, gas block, and of course drill a new gas port. To block off the carbine length gas port, any of a number of ways are exceptable.

Maybe this?

Eric, those Pig Tails do not increase the dell time at all and the bolts will still open way to early. La France made a rig that did and if you get a hold of him he's sill got a couple of hundred of them, tell him I sent you.

Less the LaFrance Gas Tubes, the only way for us to increase the dwell time is to go to a longer rifle tube..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 am

has anyone tried an adjustable gas block on the .450B?

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 pm

BD1 wrote:has anyone tried an adjustable gas block on the .450B?

BD

Yes, many types, some of my own design. They work well for changing the flow, but do not work for changing the dwell time, i.e., when the bolt opens..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:20 pm

Speaking of gas tube location, has Bushmaster ever explained why they used the same length tube on both their 16" carbine and 20" rifle? The logic behind that eludes me, but I don't design firearms for a living.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Hoot wrote:Speaking of gas tube location, has Bushmaster ever explained why they used the same length tube on both their 16" carbine and 20" rifle? The logic behind that eludes me, but I don't design firearms for a living.
Hoot

Yup, it made life easier. One does not have to re-engineer everything for two different barrel lengths. The Lite Hornady loads also made functioning the factory ammo if-ie, with the rifle length tube. The lawyers won the argument and were very shy about the real loads. You've got to remember, there was a time when this was thought of as Voodoo Engineering, the "can't-be-done", syndrome. I have always had to fight that thinking. I win some and lose some.. Now that SAMII has standardized the pressures, it'll take an act of God to change things for the better...BUUTTT, that doesn't keep us from making a +p and a +P+ loading and soon I'll be in the pressure game, with serious pressure equipment and together we'll settle all the arguments..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but lets say one was able to get a barrel chamber in 450b with say, a 24 inch barrel and one could specify the placement of the gas port. Would it be prudent to get the gas port drilled for a rifle length tube given the longer barrel length? Fast cycle rate is not a high priority for my use.
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Hoot wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but lets say one was able to get a barrel chamber in 450b with say, a 24 inch barrel and one could specify the placement of the gas port. Would it be prudent to get the gas port drilled for a rifle length tube given the longer barrel length? Fast cycle rate is not a high priority for my use.
Thanks,
Hoot

Very good question. Having a longer barrel would be a shame if you weren't going to milk out more in the speed department. The longer barrels, will way more efficiently, use the slower powders too. If you were to put a carbine length port into the 24" barrel, in short order you'd hit the pressure wall and ripped off rims, using the slower powders and trying to increase the speeds. So, my vote would be to go with the Rifle length port, for your 24 incher. Factory stuff will still work pretty good. Even now the rifle length port, works on the raged edge of reliable, with the factory fodder, now add that extra long barrel and you'll have more time for the gases to enter the port and thus the longer barrel would be a little more reliable than a 20" barrel and gas set-up, using factory ammo..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm

wildcatter wrote:...snip...Even now the rifle length port, works on the raged edge of reliable, with the factory fodder...snip

Did you mean mid-length? I believe that is what the Bushmaster 16 carbine and 20 rife barrels both use. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only know what I read, since I don't have one yet, either way.
Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Hoot wrote:
wildcatter wrote:...snip...Even now the rifle length port, works on the raged edge of reliable, with the factory fodder...snip

Did you mean mid-length? I believe that is what the Bushmaster 16 carbine and 20 rife barrels both useYUPPERS. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only know what I read, since I don't have one yet, either way.
Hoot

Your new question speaks to why we need to be careful in the safety arena on this or any other board. My Prose is not always what it should be and I assume too much sometimes..

Mid-length and Carbine length are samey-samey..

Did I get it this time? ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b