Swaging Bore Runner type 458 Solids

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Swaging Bore Runner type 458 Solids

Postby wildcatter » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Can anyone send Al one or two from their stash or can do this and post really great close-up pics of the grooves? Review Pitted-Bores tutorial on how to take great pics, it's mostly in the lighting and a decent camera, for me it's always been the Jerk-on-the-Trigger..wink..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 am

This is from the 458S thread

From Barnes:

We developed the 300 grain tipped, all copper 458 SOCOM bullet at the request of some members on this board. We make only this one tipped bullet in .458" diameter. It was a mid-year release (July 2009), so it did not make it into our 2009 catalog. Because the 458 SOCOM is also used as a military and law enforcement caliber as well as for hunting, we put the bullet in our new M/LE line-up and listed it as the TAC-TX for Tactical Tipped X Bullet BT (Boat Tail). We did not put it in with the rest of our Tipped Triple Shock X Bullets (TTSX) that are marketed specifically for hunting. It is designed to be accurate at typical 458 SOCOM distances and velocities, and the function window runs from 1900 fps to 1100 fps.

I checked on Midway and did not find your references, but there may be some confusion there. We will try to get it staightened out.

Our correct nomenclature is: Barnes 458 SOCOM 300 grain TAC-TX BT from the M/LE line.

Chan Bates
Director of Business Development
Barnes Bullets Inc.
Mona Utah
Siringo

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:39 am

wildcatter wrote:Can anyone send Al one or two from their stash or can do this and post really great close-up pics of the grooves? Review Pitted-Bores tutorial on how to take great pics, it's mostly in the lighting and a decent camera, for me it's always been the Jerk-on-the-Trigger..wink..

Catter, I can get them, no problem, just need a link to make sure I'm getting the right ones.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:05 am

Al in Mi wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Can anyone send Al one or two from their stash or can do this and post really great close-up pics of the grooves? Review Pitted-Bores tutorial on how to take great pics, it's mostly in the lighting and a decent camera, for me it's always been the Jerk-on-the-Trigger..wink..

Catter, I can get them, no problem, just need a link to make sure I'm getting the right ones.

Of course I'm in Idaho using my wife's laptop so I do not yet know how to cut and paste with the touch pad and she's asleep. So you are going to have to have someone else get you an URL. But Midway has 330gr banded solids for the socom and they are well over $50/box, so unless you are actually wanting to try them out it might be allot cheaper to let the Mudder or someone else do the job and get the pics. I mean we need the empirical data and all, but I don't want anyone to spend needles dollars when others are set up already, unless you just wanna..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:15 am

If anyone has these, mic the nose shank to check the diameter or check to see if the nose shank will fit into the bore via the muzzle of the 450B. The bore diameter of the 450B is .444 (?) -- hard to measure, but this is what I got off of some Barnes 275's that I recovered. Bullet base was .451 on those "all copper bullets" -- showing that they do not bump into the bore like jacketed lead varieties.
Siringo

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:04 am

Siringo wrote:If anyone has these, mic the nose shank to check the diameter or check to see if the nose shank will fit into the bore via the muzzle of the 450B. The bore diameter of the 450B is .444 (?) -- hard to measure, but this is what I got off of some Barnes 275's that I recovered. Bullet base was .451 on those "all copper bullets" -- showing that they do not bump into the bore like jacketed lead varieties.

Good pick-up on the nose part.

Eric, can you measure yours and see where they are?
Al in Mi

Postby MudBug » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
Siringo wrote:If anyone has these, mic the nose shank to check the diameter or check to see if the nose shank will fit into the bore via the muzzle of the 450B. The bore diameter of the 450B is .444 (?) -- hard to measure, but this is what I got off of some Barnes 275's that I recovered. Bullet base was .451 on those "all copper bullets" -- showing that they do not bump into the bore like jacketed lead varieties.

Good pick-up on the nose part.

Eric, can you measure yours and see where they are?

Sure if I knew what it was he wanted me to measure... I'm a little confused.

BTW, I posted a link to the Barnes 0.458 bullets at midway on page 1.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Maybe were all a little confused -- this thread is mentioning 300 gr spitzers and 330 gr. banded. Which do you have? If you have the 330 gr. banded, then measure the bore riding portion (the area ahead of the driving bands to the nose -- it is straight). If it is the 300 gr spitzer (with the blue tip) then measuring in of no importance -- just try to size them.

Why don't we inquire if Barnes will make them for us to our .452 dimensions.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:10 am

speaking of being "Confused". That reminds me of a Davey Crocket story that goes something like.. "Senator Crocket, all those years in the Wilderness, did you ever get lost".."No I never did get lost, but I was a might "Confused a month or two at a time"..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Siringo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:51 am

Good statement. Think I will use that today as I shuffle my mother back and forth from assisted living tours!
Siringo

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b