What copper alloy for turning bullets?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: What copper alloy for turning bullets?

Postby BayouBob » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Here it is, from US Code.

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm

BayouBob wrote:Here it is, from US Code.

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

That's our Bad-Bob, taking care of us, once again.

Thanks Bobber..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby slash2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 am

wildcatter wrote:
BayouBob wrote:Hey guys, If I remember right somewhere in the solid copper/brass/bronze pistol bullet process you run into a little Democratic Party thing called "Cop Killer Bullets." The Barnes folks had to quit making their wonderful solid "Keith" style pistol bullets because of that bit of chicanery the dems. pulled. Better check the specifics of the law to avoid crossing the invisible line.

Hey! That's right! Better check that out first..

..t

Awww man. (whining) But thanks, no point in messin' with it, if it's messin' with law. I'm sure a big fat tea cup hollow point will be just as good....
/2
slash2

Postby slash2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:50 am

BayouBob wrote:Here it is, from US Code.

So if it's turned from solid copper would it be okay?

Also, in California, hunting ammunition has to be of an expanding or soft tip variety, so here is what i came up with, a Controlled Expansion solid copper .451 300gr Wide Flat Nose Hollow Point. If my math is right It would .980" long .

Image Image
Last edited by slash2 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
/2
slash2

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 am

Not a lawyer here, but it appears to me that these laws specifically refer to "intent". So, my guess is, if your intent is to turn solid copper as rifle projectiles, it would appear that you would be within the law.

Just my thoughts.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby slash2 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:14 am

BillytheKid wrote:Not a lawyer here, but it appears to me that these laws specifically refer to "intent". So, my guess is, if your intent is to turn solid copper as rifle projectiles, it would appear that you would be within the law.

Just my thoughts.

The "may be used in a handgun" is the clincher, I was intending to use it in my .454 Casull.
/2
slash2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:00 am

If a cop gets shot in the eye with one of those Crossman pellets that has a BB in it.....Would it become a cop killer bullet? Or wait...If a bad guy took a Chrome Vanadium Sears and Roebuck Crowbar and shoved it through a cops' skull, would we have an Armour Piercing Crowbar? But wait! Wouldn't that require us to register all Crowbars? No? Wait! I think I'm getting it now. I drive around in my truck, and drunks drive around in trucks and kill people, but I don't hear any clamouring for the banning of trucks because they kill people. As long as I register it.. Oh WAIT! They DO have vehicle registration and there are some libslobs out there saying my truck is killing the planet and they ARE trying to control what I can drive! Oh My! I am so excited! I can't wait to find out how much more they want from me! Oh I cant wait to give up all of my liberties and sit in a square box while all these libtards are out flying around in their Jets and Limos crying the THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING AND ITS YOUR FAULT, NOT MINE! (take the pills tiger, ole boy), I CAN FLY WHAT I WANT TO AND DRIVE WHAT I WANT TO BECAUSE I REALLY CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT AND SEE, I FLEW ALL THE WAY HERE ON AIRFORCE ONE TO PLAY GOLF! :twisted: AND AND.....WHA?.......Whats that? Oh, no no. I don't like needles... I I But OOOOOOoooohhhh.......
Sorry about that folks, we had to give him a sedative..... :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 am

I the samples I have from Belt Mountain, looks like they drilled about a 1/16" hole in the nose, but he fills his base with lead. I don't know if that small of a hole would be considered "expanding" thou.

http://www.beltmountain.com/punch.htm

BTW, nice design. The .509 ones I made had a trauncated nose, some were hex hollow points, some were flat points, intentions were to whack a blackie with my 50 Alaskan last month.
Al in Mi

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:16 pm

this is a .509 450gr I did up awhile back for the 50 Alaskan. I didn't expect much or any expansion, but a big blackie never crossed my sights to see for sure.

Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:If a cop gets shot in the eye with one of those Crossman pellets that has a BB in it.....Would it become a cop killer bullet? Or wait...If a bad guy took a Chrome Vanadium Sears and Roebuck Crowbar and shoved it through a cops' skull, would we have an Armour Piercing Crowbar? But wait! Wouldn't that require us to register all Crowbars? No? Wait! I think I'm getting it now. I drive around in my truck, and drunks drive around in trucks and kill people, but I don't hear any clamouring for the banning of trucks because they kill people. As long as I register it.. Oh WAIT! They DO have vehicle registration and there are some libslobs out there saying my truck is killing the planet and they ARE trying to control what I can drive! Oh My! I am so excited! I can't wait to find out how much more they want from me! Oh I cant wait to give up all of my liberties and sit in a square box while all these libtards are out flying around in their Jets and Limos crying the THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING AND ITS YOUR FAULT, NOT MINE! (take the pills tiger, ole boy), I CAN FLY WHAT I WANT TO AND DRIVE WHAT I WANT TO BECAUSE I REALLY CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT AND SEE, I FLEW ALL THE WAY HERE ON AIRFORCE ONE TO PLAY GOLF! :twisted: AND AND.....WHA?.......Whats that? Oh, no no. I don't like needles... I I But OOOOOOoooohhhh.......
Sorry about that folks, we had to give him a sedative..... :roll:

What do you mean you don't hear any clamoring for the banning of trucks.. BAN ALL TRUCKS, over one million Volkswagen Beetles can't all be wrong..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b