250 Gr. Barnes Trial

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

250 Gr. Barnes Trial

Postby Siringo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Other information on this subject is posted on the Remington Announcement thread. I started this thread to keep loading information in an accessible place. Maybe someone can move over the appropriate posts.

Over the last couple of weeks, I shot some of the resized 250 gr. Barnes 45-70 bullets (.458) to .452. For a load I used 37 grs if LG with a WSR primer (close to Hornady max). Cartridges were loaded to an overall length of 2.23 inches and taper crimped. This bullet has a very large hollow point opening and reliable feeding will only be thru the Bushmaster supplied magazines. Sigs and Magpuls do not position the bullet high enough on the ramp of the AR and usually the last round will hang up.

Velocities of the load (I only shot 4 thru the chrono - 16 inch barrel)
1. 2279 fps
2. 2306 fps
3. 2302 fps
4. 2267 fps

Av -- 2288
ES -- 39
Sd -- 18

Accuracy was 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

This test was just to show that you can resize these solid Barnes bullets and they will shoot OK. This bullet would not be my choice because of its poor BC, but it could be used. At 300 yards, the Hornady 250 gr FXT has the same energy and velocity as this Barnes bullets does at 200.

These are some pictures of the recovered bullets. Berm as frozen (11 degree) and most of the time Barnes bullets do not expand in soil anyway. They rely on hydraulic action. Note the rifling impression and the grooves. The bands are very, very close to the 450B bore diameter. Within the working zone.

Siringo

Re: 250 Gr. Barnes Trial

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 pm

:? did the bullet groove depth change during the resizing process? it looks as though the rifling lands are just kissing the bottom of the bullet grooves. this should allow for some serious velocity increases without serious pressure signs... :| correct? :?:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Siringo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Yes it did. I think the measurements are on the Remington Announcement post. Everything shrunk and the bullet got longer.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Siringo wrote:Yes it did. I think the measurements are on the Remington Announcement post. Everything shrunk and the bullet got longer.

And the lateral groves of the bullet are still present, the sizing did not wipe them out, Humm..imagine that?

Good job Siringo, the work you are doing is not unlike the way NASA has always done it, one step at a time. Guys, this is important and you should take a page from Siringo's book. If you do a bunch of changes all at once, it matters not if you have problems or successes, you'll not know what happened, but taking it one step at a time, one can isolate the variables and make good conclusions..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b