Turning .284 brass into 450 brass?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Turning .284 brass into 450 brass?

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm

NID450 wrote:Realize this post is a little old, however a lot of questions as I put my 450 together (AR Platform). I do have a little experience reloading and understand head spacing problems with a straight walled case. It has been mentioned in other posts that most manufactured brass is less than the spec for the cartridge, e.g. Hornady brass runs around 1.65” and Starline Brass runs a little longer but still not to the spec of the 1.70”. Then this leads me to why not use the parent case to make 450 brass, .284 Winchester, but it is sounding like a nightmare reaming, turning, squeezing down bullets, broken extractors etc.... The first of many questions is just suck it and accept that you won’t ever properly headspace unless you posses a small fabrication shop?

When I load (sane) for a 40 SW and 9mm I measure a few cases call it good, jam a primer, pour powder, mash in a bullet, pull trigger, bang, hole in paper, approach the 450 with the same attitude?

On a lighter side excites about my first thumper!!!!

The actual SAAMI spec for case length is 1.70 -.010 (no plus). 1.695 is darn near the perfect length. I have modified .284 brass for the 450b and life being short and 450b brass being plentiful, its simply not worth the headache. I'll give one of the challenges which is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Cut down .284 brass will have a much thicker wall in the area that the bullet seats, than dedicated 450b brass. It also varies from .284 manufacturer to manufacturer. Having to ream or turn the cases to just the right thickness and deoth for the bullet you intend to seat, adds a lot of extra work and expense. While the original 45 Professional, the basis of the 450b had the same rim and extraction groove diameter as .284 brass, Hornady and Bushmaster decided to change those specs. I can testify to the PITA it is to turn them individually in a lathe, to SAAMI spec. I could go on...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 am

never seen or heard of Hornady brass that short, most all of mine stay 1.695 after resizing, don't think I have ever trimmed a case yet come to think of it.

Loading is straight forward like your 40, need to lube cases to resize, clean, prime, powder, seat bullet, taper crimp, bang, big hole in paper or flesh and bone. ;)
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am

Al in Mi wrote:never seen or heard of Hornady brass that short, most all of mine stay 1.695 after resizing, don't think I have ever trimmed a case yet come to think of it.

Loading is straight forward like your 40, need to lube cases to resize, clean, prime, powder, seat bullet, taper crimp, bang, big hole in paper or flesh and bone. ;)

I have resized and measured thousands, seriously thousands of 450b brass. My record for short brass is 1.678. I usually dont measure them new, out of the Hornady box, but I'd bet if I had, that really short one would have started out shorter than average. They certainly dont come out of the box all the same length. Not by a long shot. The last new brass I got was a batch of Starline and among them was one that was shorter than SAAMI spec. So its not limited to just Hornady. To reiterate, short cases still fire. It's the ones that are longer than spec that could theoretically keep your bolt from fully locking.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby NID450 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks for the clarification and patience. Once I get some brass I ams sure some other questions will come up. And realized that I missed a few digits in my quoting of lengths.
It's not that I condone fascism or any 'ism' for that matter. Ism's, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an 'ism,' he should believe in himself. Ferris Bueller
NID450

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b