Surplus 297

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Surplus 297

Postby BD1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm a little behind on posting results, but I did get a chance to try some surplus 297 in the .450B two weeks ago. i shot a broad load work up behind the 250 grain FTXs, the top end of which is in the pics below. 2,200 fps will be in the 40 to 41 grain range at COAL of 2.250 It shoots just as well as 296, (those FTXs shoot pretty well loaded on top of just about anything). I tried it under the 325 grainers as well, but i was well under the "zone" on the first work up, down around 1,400 fps.

The 297 is about a grain and a half slower in the .450B than canister 296. It's also bulkier and coarser, but still flows through the measure just fine. The powder piles on the piece of paper are equal volumes, shaken slightly to see how they "flow". I'll try the 297 with 300 grain cast this weekend if I get a chance. I have about 16 lbs of this I got from Jeff Bartlett. He may still have it in stock.

BD
Attachments
IMG_2430.JPG
targets are 297 under the 250 grain FTX at 100 yards
IMG_2430.JPG (66.74 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
IMG_2429.JPG
bulk and flow test, coarser and bulkier than 296
IMG_2429.JPG (36.75 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Surplus 297

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:01 am

16# is gonna keep you shooting for awhile!!

looks promising thou, thanks for sharing.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 am

Just a little thought here guys. WC 297 is an OEM powder and IS the powder Hornady is using for their 450b loading. CAUTION: You will need to do exactly what BD is doing (i.e. Working up the load for the specific powder lot and for each different lot you buy). You must do this for any OEM powder, as they vary in burn rate from Lot-to-Lot. Having said all that it's a cheap way to go, just be careful and record the numbers and do the paper work or better yet only have one lot at a time in your shop, after you determine what the safe limits are..t

Ps.. Bd, what speeds do you hope to end up with those 325's and please remind me again, what is the configuration of your 325? I remember a hard cast, gas check, etc. Is it an LBT type & what else and how are the groups coming with that bullet?..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 am

The big question is where does one go to get OEM powders? Thats always been my biggest hurdle- not any insight into the bigger picture.
Mike

Postby BD1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:46 pm

WC, I've been working toward a 300 grainer at 2,000 fps. I've tried a variety of molds from 290 grains through 400 grains with pretty similar accuracy results +/- 2 1/2" @ 100 yards. I do get occasional three shot groups under an inch, but never a 5 shot group that tight. Oddly five rounds out of this rifle often will go into two distinct groups, something I haven't run into before. I'm currently working with a RNFP mold I designed that runs 293 grains lubed and checked. This week I hope to try some a little harder, around 24-25 BHN to see if that tightens the groups up.

Mike,
There are a couple of sources for surplus powder, both OEM and military. Pat's Reloading and Jeff Bartlett are two that I've used for years. It's certainly not the "deal" that it used to be, but in certain applications it will save you some money if you put the time into calibration and load development. It's not a complication I'd recommend to someone starting out, but after you've burned a couple of 8 pound jugs of canister in a particular cartridge, and you think you're gonna want to shoot it for years to come, it's worth looking into. Requires a chronograph at the minimum. The days of $2.00/lb are gone I'm afraid, and the 297 looks like about the only surplus available that's really meets the requirements of the .450B. WC-680 will work, if anyone still has some, but it's mighty dirty in this cartridge, only burning about 80%.

It'll be a sorry day when I hit the bottom of the WC820, WC852 and HP-18, but I'm glad I bought them when I did.
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Return to Reloading for the 450b