Remington Bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Remington Bullets

Postby pitted bore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:13 am

Al-

Thank you.

(My own ML side is pretty smokey and uses pillow ticking for sabots.)

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 am

Siringo wrote:I am going to hijack this to some degree ------- Question --- It appears that you have some sort of swaging tool -- such as Corbin -- to reshape the bullets?

What about taking these inexpensive 230 gr. RN bullets that are .4505 and bumping them up to .452?? Even adding a shallow taper crimp groove.

Somewhere at home, I have the targets for the .451 Magtech 230 FMJs from last Summer's experiments with them. I tried all kinds of crimping alternative combinations and the good old Taper crimp to .475 over 38gr of Lil Gun (2224fps) gave a good group at 100 yards. I have my Range notes here though and that particular 5-shot group placed:
0 / +.75
+.5 / 0
+.25 / +.25
-.5 / +.5
and of course the spoiler
+4 / +1.5 (go figure)

That's using the system First number + = High, - = Low / Second number + = Right, - = Left
I did that for each shot when it was hot out to pass the time while the gun cooled between shots. I also mic'd the shrinkage, wiped the soot off, even punched the round count tick in the head. You should see the Afghan I crocheted. ;)

Idle Fool you know...

On the next trip with them five days later, my notes showed there was another accuracy node at 41gr of Lil Gun (2340fps), but by then, it was cooler and I didn't score them in my range book.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:57 am

Nose punch and body die for pointing up the 300gr Remmy HP's

I step them down .002-.003 at a time in a bushing/die, like this finishing one I use for my ML.

Al in Mi

Postby pitted bore » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Al-
Our sincere thanks for taking the time and making the effort to educate us about how to do a job right. The photos are a big help toward understanding the process.

My mental image of the size of the arbor press was too small. The one you show in the picture looks like it has a rating of a gazillion tons. Would a 1- or 2-ton press be able to get the job done?

Thanks for all your help. It's nice to have some pros around this site.

--Bob
pitted bore

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b