My first reloads with home made 285gr JFP

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: My first reloads with home made 285gr JFP

Postby BD1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 am

I'd load a couple of rounds and, (pointed in a safe direction), let the bolt slam them home. Then recheck the COAL to see if the bullet is jumping forward when it chambers. I'm guessing you're still a little light on the powder charge and if the bullets are jumping into the lands when they chamber the .3 grain variation isn't going to be very significant. I'm thinking a body crimp into the extraction groove of .40 case would be just the thing.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jailer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Hoot wrote:I plugged your values in QL. 296 isn't so power packed as to make more than that amount of velocity change per .4gr jumps with 285gr bullets. I usually jump in 1gr increments, depending upon how close I am to the max. My most accurate loads run SDs around 30-40. It's just the nature of the beast. By the time I can throw on enough neck tension to tighten up the SDs, then I've changed the bullet enough such that accuracy goes to hell. Faster powders will tighten it up sometimes. Was there a point where sooting stopped or is it still with you? If they all are sooting, lay on another couple mils of taper crimp and reshoot them again to see if it ups the velocity and drops the SD as a whole. IE, if your getting .476 on the mic (not caliper) at the very edge of the mouth, drop to .474. Also, with the taper crimp die set to the same spot in the press, make sure your crimp are the same for every loaded cartridge. Varying crimps due to those 40 S&W brass not being annealed to the same softness, will impact your SDs as well as your mental health. When I was dabbling in homebrews, I turned the bullet jacket case rims down a few mils less than the body of the case so that they weren't hanging onto the inside of the cartridge walls. Not that it helped. Mine still shot about 2-3 MOA anyway.

Hoot

I went back and looked at all my cases. They all have quite a bit of soot, especially around the extractor groove and rim so that is one thing to correct. It's definitely not sealing well. The crimps was .478 so I've got plenty of room for more. I just wasn't sure how tight I could go before I was doing more harm than good. The last loads were loaded long enough that I may not be able to get enough neck tension to hold the bullet well. I'm going to go back to a previous load that shot decent (2 1/2 inches) and try a tighter crimp and see how it responds. I'll also shoot them off the lead sled this time so I can try and take shooter error out of the equation.

BD1 wrote:I'd load a couple of rounds and, (pointed in a safe direction), let the bolt slam them home. Then recheck the COAL to see if the bullet is jumping forward when it chambers. I'm guessing you're still a little light on the powder charge and if the bullets are jumping into the lands when they chamber the .3 grain variation isn't going to be very significant. I'm thinking a body crimp into the extraction groove of .40 case would be just the thing.

BD1 I was thinking that if I got these things to shoot half way decent that I'd get a canalure tool so I could add a canalure to them where ever I wanted. With a modified Lee factory crimp die and canalure tool I'd be able to side crimp them directly into the canalure. That would hold them for sure.

I've got a busy week and weekend ahead of me so I won't be able to make it out to the range again until next Monday at the earliest. I'll report back as soon as I can.
Jailer

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Jailer wrote:
Hoot wrote:I plugged your values in QL. 296 isn't so power packed as to make more than that amount of velocity change per .4gr jumps with 285gr bullets. I usually jump in 1gr increments, depending upon how close I am to the max. My most accurate loads run SDs around 30-40. It's just the nature of the beast. By the time I can throw on enough neck tension to tighten up the SDs, then I've changed the bullet enough such that accuracy goes to hell. Faster powders will tighten it up sometimes. Was there a point where sooting stopped or is it still with you? If they all are sooting, lay on another couple mils of taper crimp and reshoot them again to see if it ups the velocity and drops the SD as a whole. IE, if your getting .476 on the mic (not caliper) at the very edge of the mouth, drop to .474. Also, with the taper crimp die set to the same spot in the press, make sure your crimp are the same for every loaded cartridge. Varying crimps due to those 40 S&W brass not being annealed to the same softness, will impact your SDs as well as your mental health. When I was dabbling in homebrews, I turned the bullet jacket case rims down a few mils less than the body of the case so that they weren't hanging onto the inside of the cartridge walls. Not that it helped. Mine still shot about 2-3 MOA anyway.

Hoot

I went back and looked at all my cases. They all have quite a bit of soot, especially around the extractor groove and rim so that is one thing to correct. It's definitely not sealing well. The crimps was .478 so I've got plenty of room for more. I just wasn't sure how tight I could go before I was doing more harm than good. The last loads were loaded long enough that I may not be able to get enough neck tension to hold the bullet well. I'm going to go back to a previous load that shot decent (2 1/2 inches) and try a tighter crimp and see how it responds. I'll also shoot them off the lead sled this time so I can try and take shooter error out of the equation.

BD1 wrote:I'd load a couple of rounds and, (pointed in a safe direction), let the bolt slam them home. Then recheck the COAL to see if the bullet is jumping forward when it chambers. I'm guessing you're still a little light on the powder charge and if the bullets are jumping into the lands when they chamber the .3 grain variation isn't going to be very significant. I'm thinking a body crimp into the extraction groove of .40 case would be just the thing.

BD1 I was thinking that if I got these things to shoot half way decent that I'd get a canalure tool so I could add a canalure to them where ever I wanted. With a modified Lee factory crimp die and canalure tool I'd be able to side crimp them directly into the canalure. That would hold them for sure.

I've got a busy week and weekend ahead of me so I won't be able to make it out to the range again until next Monday at the earliest. I'll report back as soon as I can.

If you're going to spend the time making a LSC die, then why not make it to crimp it into the extractor grove, as BD has suggested, skipping the cannelure expense and time?? Man-o-Man, that extractor grove seems to me, to be about perfect..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jailer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:45 pm

wildcatter wrote:
If you're going to spend the time making a LSC die, then why not make it to crimp it into the extractor grove, as BD has suggested, skipping the cannelure expense and time?? Man-o-Man, that extractor grove seems to me, to be about perfect..

..t

Just seemed awful low for a crimp. But you guys all know wayyyyy more than I do and if you think it would work I'll give it a try.

Do keep in mind that the rim of the bullet is not expanding to the full diameter of .452 if that makes a difference. I'll measure a few to give you an idea.
Jailer

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Jailer wrote:
wildcatter wrote:

..t

Just seemed awful low for a crimp. But you guys all know wayyyyy more than I do and if you think it would work I'll give it a try.

Do keep in mind that the rim of the bullet is not expanding to the full diameter of .452 if that makes a difference. I'll measure a few to give you an idea.

Yeah, let us know that measurement, but right this second I don't think it will be much of a problem. That larger rim should act much like a gas check (BD???)..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jailer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Measured a handfull and they all measured between .435 and .441 at the rim on the base of the bullet.

Lighter ones that I've made are easier to get the rim filled out near final diameter but these heavier bullets just take too much pressure. I'm afraid I'm going to split my die if I try to apply any more.
Jailer

Postby Jailer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Well, I actually made it out to shoot Friday but I was busy all weekend and didn't have a chance to post results until today.

A tighter crimp seems to be taking this in the right direction. Still getting a little bit of sooting but velocity went up sooting wasn't as bad and it actually shot groups instead of patterns.

Started with 32.5gr and a .476 crimp seated to 2.100. Group was a little large at 3 inches but no random fliers.
Velocities:

Next was 33.5gr and .476 crimp seated to 2.100. Group tightened up to 2 inches with 4 shots at 1 1/2 inches.
Velocities:

Next outing I'm going to try the same charge weights and go with a .474 crimp and see how they shoot. At least it's heading in the right direction now. Thanks Hoot for the tighter crimp suggestion it seems to be working well.

I need to get this figured out soon so I can start playing with my new Marlin 1895SBL I just picked up today. :mrgreen:
Jailer

Postby Colohunter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Sounds like it is going well. I've been interested in swaging my own bullets, but so far the cost and time has kept me from taking the plunge, just as the time aspect has kept me from casting my own (though I am starting to save lead for it).
Colohunter

Postby bash » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

This is great! I love the ingineuity and engineering! This is really great stuff! I wish I could come up with things like this. My hat is off to you! A big "atta boy" to you as well! Keep us informed too.

Bash.
bash

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:06 pm

bash wrote:This is great! I love the ingineuity and engineering! This is really great stuff! I wish I could come up with things like this. My hat is off to you! A big "atta boy" to you as well! Keep us informed too.

Bash.

Common Bash, you've got as much ingenuity and engineering expertise as the rest of us, you've only to release your inner Dogs-of-War!!

Here's a start.

Try deciding just what you need, that isn't on the market. The .."if they only made" trick is great, then figure out how to get from point A to point B and BINGO, you too can become a Root'en-Toot'en Fire Breathing, Gun Crank. And then pretty soon, you can sound like me, using utterly fantastic, to the point, and specific Vernacular Colloquialisms, such as.."Duh" .."Wow".."Duck"..and the best of them all.."Oh-Oh"!!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b