Primers?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Primers?

Postby Volt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Which would be the better buy if they all were priced the same?
Wolf223 Primers
Wolf Small Rifle Primers or
Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers
I shoot alot of 223 and of course 450 bushmaster.
Volt

Re: Primers?

Postby MudBug » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 am

For ar15's I use the SRM primers, but I bough about 15k of them before the new small rifle ar15 primers were released.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm

My intention has been to use as many components as I already have on hand. Last fall, I got a good deal on 1K CCI Small Rifle Bench Rest primers and quite honestly, they'll probbly meet my small rifle needs for the rest of my natural life. Has anyone used them. I'm not much of a connoisseur of primers, using what I find, when they are on sale. About the only kind I avoid are the harder mil primers since I don't shoot under harsh conditions. So, would these be advisable to use or should I scour for a different brand?
BTW, today I picked up a bottle of Lil Gun (20" barrel / 250 gr FTX) and a bottle of 2400 for working up loads also using the 200 FTX for white tail hunting. I don't really need to shoot two abreast, so the 200s sound like a good choice if I can get them to stay in the brass. I have a 45-70 FC die on the way in case the taper crimp doesn't hold. Trying to line up as many ducks as possible while waiting for the upper to come.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:28 am

I've used Remington 7 1/2s for all of my .223 in the AR, and all of the Hornady brass .450B loads so far. They're priced reasonably and work well. I had thought about CC! 450s or the Wolf SRMs as I was having inconsistent velocitites at first. However, I feel that turned out to be more of a crimp issue than a primer issue.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:52 am

BD1 wrote:I've used Remington 7 1/2s for all of my .223 in the AR, and all of the Hornady brass .450B loads so far. They're priced reasonably and work well. I had thought about CC! 450s or the Wolf SRMs as I was having inconsistent velocities at first. However, I feel that turned out to be more of a crimp issue than a primer issue.
BD

And for this thread, would you reiterate, for the new guys, how the crimp issues were solved and how the crimp is working today, your personal experience would be very appreciated, I'm sure..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:22 am

The link below is to the thread on this forum with the discussion of modifying a Lee FCD to give a "body crimp" on the .450B cartridge. IMHO the issue is twofold:

1. We are trying to light a good sized charge with a small rifle primer. And in some cases we're using powders that are notoriously hard to light like H100, and 296.

2. We are using a fairly heavy bullet in most cases, in an action that really slaps the rounds into the chamber. This can case the bullet to "jump" forward a bit due to inertia as the round is chambered. The effect is that the case capacity is increased, making the charge harder to ignite. Also as bullet jump is not very consistent, it leads to large variations in velocity.

Because the .450b is designed to headspace on the case mouth, we cannot put a really good standard factory crimp right at the mouth. To do so would risk the cartridge being chambered to deeply, which in turn could lead to a "high pressure event" if the case mouth lacked room to expand and release the bullet upon ignition. The answer that someone brighter than I came up with was to move the crimp down the body of the case a bit so as to not interfere with the diameter of the case mouth, (and resulting headspace). So far this has worked very well. I have brass that's been fired 15-20 times using the body crimp with no ill effect, and it's still going strong. Using this crimp has allowed me to reduce my extreme velocity spreads from 100- 150 down to 30-50, even using H110 and 297. To me that's an important step on the way to developing accurate loads.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 am

Before my question gets lost in the noise floor, thumbs up or down on the CCI BR4 that I already have?
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I have not used them but they should be just fine. We're running around 40,000 psi, not really pushing the limits on primer cups.
BD
BD1

Postby gunnut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 pm

It wasn't that long ago when any primer you could get was GOOD! Givin a choice, I use the CCI #34 and #41 in my ARs. They have a heavier cup to prevent slam firers. Just a precaution.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 am

Bad News, well, only, kinda-sorta..

Confirmed: Remington 450Bushmaster Ammunition uses the #-7 1/2 small rifle primer.

And to keep Hoot happy, here's the citation.. http://www.remington.com/products/ammun ... aster.aspx

All the more reason to keep up the pressure on Starline and when you do tell them we need the large primer pocket.

For those not in the loop on this one, Vis-à-vis, large vs small primers. There is no real problem with the primer size and the 450b. The reason Hornady went with the small was because that's what the Match guys wanted and of course because of the availability of SR primers for the 223. But as thing have shaken out, the availability of SR primers, became illusive, to say the least. So, some of us have been wanting the versatility of a case which also uses LR primers. But hey guys, a check on Gun Broker, seems to suggest that the damn has broken on SR availability, even to the point with some of the posts' being as cheap or cheaper than the good old days (couple of years ago)..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b