Cast Boolits?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Cast Boolits?

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm

I seem to remember someone here shooting cast boolits but can't find it. Who all casts their own bullets here? I am VERY interested in casting my own for my 450!! I have absolutely no clue what hardness it would need to be to push it at our velocities? I also have no clue what I need to do it? Will the lube mess with the gas system? Could I get away with moly coating them instead of lubing them? How do I put a gas check on and at what point is one needed? I saw a mold that had a nice spire point and weighed in at 375 grains which seems like a good weight to me.

Help me get things rolling Please!
Stealthshooter

Re: Cast Boolits?

Postby Siringo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Until someone comes up with a gas check that is 1/8" tall --- the results we be less than stellar. The gas hole is 0.09 inches (IIRC) and the gas passing into the hole has a chance to get around the bullet and disturb the check. I have samples of it happening. Also, the gas rushing into the hole on a bullet w/o a check will gas cut the base.

Posts are all over this site, so you will just have to word search --sorry.
Siringo

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 pm

What about making your own gas checks? http://www.corbins.com/gascheck.htm
Stealthshooter

Postby BD1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 am

Believe it or not I'm still waiting for Pat Marlin to make me a custom gas check maker that I ordered 18 months ago. It will supposedly make a check that's .10 tall which should settle this question. In the mean time 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards are the norm for cast boolits out of my rifle. The slow twist and chrome bore work out perfectly for cast. And, if you use gas checked designs, there is no issue with gunk in the system. I ran 500 rounds of 300 grain cast through my rifle without any lube or cleaning with no ill effects at all. If you search posts by me you'll find a lot of cast boolit discussion on this board.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 am

Bob, have you kept after Pat about that? If I had waited 18 months for a product, I'd be thinking the person passed away or something. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:09 pm

I did some inquiring about taller gas checks and this is what I found. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=128205
Stealthshooter

Postby wildcatter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I did some inquiring about taller gas checks and this is what I found. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=128205

If'n ya can, find out how tall they are. To my way of thinking, if you've got a choise, you'll need .125"+, assuming we are going to have gas ports that big and bigger..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Here is the reply I got from Him.

my checks run about .096 tall. Not sure why you would need any taller. Bullet lube above the check would only help. The more rings of lube better the bullets flight. Dry bullets streak the barrell and accuracy goes away quick!

I explained to him my reasoning in a reply PM but it looks like these will work on a stock barrel.
Stealthshooter

Postby Siringo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 pm

There close enough to give a try.
Siringo

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:10 pm

He sells a 100 piece sample pack for $3.99 so I'm going to order some and see what they are like. I'll take a pic when they arrive.
Stealthshooter

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b