Bullet Re-sizing lesson

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Bullet Re-sizing lesson

Postby MudBug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Dillon case lube works 100 x's better that the Alox that comes with the Lee kit.

Just in case you were wondering.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Bullet Re-sizing lesson

Postby Siringo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm

I've been using Imperial Sizing Wax.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Hard to beat the long time favorite, Imperial Sizing Wax. Maybe you guys could exchange a little of each others poison, say maybe in a zip lock bag or something and then the both of you weigh in on the subject??..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm

+3 for the imperial sizing wax. A little bit goes a long way.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby MudBug » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

I should have some imperial sizing wax around somewhere. I know I bought some, but I haven't seen it since I opened the box it came in from midway a couple years ago.

I just figured the Alox stuff was made for this kind of thing, but I hated using it. So today I decided to try the dillon spray lube and it made a world of difference in the process. Even the Barnes Solid resized easily.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 am

STP works quite well.

I have heard the Dillon case lube is pure Lanolin cut back with 98-99% alcohol.

For the last few years I've used Bag Balm (ok, knock if off guys :oops: ) for all of my resizing, brass and bullets.
Al in Mi

Postby thebrassnuckles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am

Al in Mi wrote:STP works quite well.

For the last few years I've used Bag Balm (ok, knock if off guys :oops: ) for all of my resizing, brass and bullets.

do you use it for BALL ammo? :o

ok, just kidding. thanks for this thread guys i was just thinking about getting started on reladig the 450b and this will help alot.
thebrassnuckles

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 am

Al in Mi wrote:STP works quite well.

Are you referring to the commercial stuff in the green tin, made in Vermont?
John
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 am

All in all, I do like the spray lubes because of the ease of application. I like them for cleaning and lubing of our weapons as well. Just spray a little into an action and the mist will migrate to everywhere you need it. And I use mostly automotive stuff. Like carb or brake cleaner, to break our soot and then any kind of automotive spray-on silicon based lube, for a protectorate lube, but for that job and cold weather, give me the full synthetics. But then there are spray lubs and then there are spray lubs, if you get my meaning.

Did that Dillon lube allow you to draw those 325gr Hornadys' or the Barnes in one pass?

By the way, just for the record, what we are calling Swagging is actually Drawing (and I'm afraid I am guilty of bastardizing the language in this matter myself). Swagging is when you are bumping the bullet up to a larger diameter, which is something you can do if you are making bullets from scratch. If one were to Swag, say an already made 230gr bullet to 458, you could expect jacket destruction, as it comes out of the die, or jacket separation in flight or certainly, on impact. I've seen all three cases, every time we try it. As an aside, those, so called cry baby gurus (they are ex-perts,, not good enough to be real perts..wink) on the other channels, that have been following your progress in our drawing projects, are thinking they can just bump our bullets up to 458, they are in for a big surprise, especially if the jackets come off in the bore and they follow up with another shot..oop-sie.. The bad part of it is, they are going to wound and have allot of animals get away, to die somewhere else..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I still did it in two stages, 0.454 then 0.452 but it was soooooo much easier that I didn't have to do them in steps like I described earlier. It was pretty easy really. Before I kinda dreaded doing the barnes solids, now it's eezy-breezy.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b