Duplexing?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Duplexing?

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm

I've been tossing this idea around ever since I had the missfires with my first 296 loads. Why can't we load just a few grains of a easily ignited powder along with our 269,297,H110 loads?

Then I ran onto this thread today http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=118453

What do ya think?
Stealthshooter

Re: Duplexing?

Postby wildcatter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I've been tossing this idea around ever since I had the missfires with my first 296 loads. Why can't we load just a few grains of a easily ignited powder along with our 269,297,H110 loads?

Then I ran onto this thread today http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=118453

What do ya think?

Just my opinion, but it's just too dangerous and unnecessary. It shows you are thinking out of the box, but this is a strategy for extreme experts. I've done it, but holy cow, controlling the burn is nearly impossible and we've got so many fine powders, to do anything you want....

Just this afternoon, I bought some MP-300, that new Alliant powder, in the 296 burn rate area. My point is, just when I'm comfortable with things and powders, in this case, something new comes around, to further inspire.

I restate, doable, but until you have exhausted the front line powders and obtain a PHD in applied Pyrotechnics, you might want to try skipping Duplexing/Triplexing, etc..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 pm

I have not heard of the MP-300 Def let us know how it works!

I am liking the results I'm getting from my H-110 loads but it still makes me nervous thinking about getting it lit when the temps start to dive around here in the not so far future.
Stealthshooter

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm sure several folks around the campfire here can tell you all about low-temp powders...we have a large contingent from the Great White North. Whatever you do, don't mix them...like the old saw about mixing beer and wine: You're going to have one hell of a headache afterwards!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby BD1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:28 pm

In any circumstance duplex loads are not something to be undertaken lightly. And, in the .450B we are well outside of the parameters which typically would lead one to experiment with duplex loads. The typical duplex load uses a very small amount of very fast powder, (think Bullseye), to light a full case of very slow powder, (WC860, 872, 5010), in a case in which the pressures produced by the full case of slow powder are still well below the sammi spec even when lit up with a bang. The slowest powders we're using in the .450B are still "fast" powders in the overall ranking of smokeless propellents. Reliable cold weather ignition is achieved with primers rather than duplex loads. In my experience, a large rifle primer will light up 296 reliably no matter what the thermometer says.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 pm

BD1 wrote:In any circumstance duplex loads are not something to be undertaken lightly. And, in the .450B we are well outside of the parameters which typically would lead one to experiment with duplex loads. The typical duplex load uses a very small amount of very fast powder, (think Bullseye), to light a full case of very slow powder, (WC860, 872, 5010), in a case in which the pressures produced by the full case of slow powder are still well below the sammi spec even when lit up with a bang. The slowest powders we're using in the .450B are still "fast" powders in the overall ranking of smokeless propellents. Reliable cold weather ignition is achieved with primers rather than duplex loads. In my experience, a large rifle primer will light up 296 reliably no matter what the thermometer says.
BD

10x.. and magnum small rifle primers, will light h110/296 without any problems at all and we've got weather here, that will rival yours. If you are not sure, try putting some of your cartridges in the freezer and giver ah go..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b