These any good for plinking?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

These any good for plinking?

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I searched the Reloading for the 450b forum for any occurrences of berry, berrys, or berry's and got no hits. I was rooting through my .45 ACP reloading drawer and found a 250 count box of Berry's 230gr RN bullets. These are the plated ones, so I'm guessing they're not much better than cast boolits in terms of hardness. Would they be suitable plinking reload candidates? I also found two 100 count boxes of Hornady 230gr XTP HPs (not the magnums). Would they be candidates for plinking? I've had both for probably 10 years and haven't loaded them up yet, so it's safe to say they're not in high demand around my house. I have a bottle of 2400 on hand and a to-be-modded 45-70 FCD on order. I'm not adverse to working up loads for both if its not a waste of time, powder and primers.
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: These any good for plinking?

Postby Siringo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:42 am

Some posts here or over on Calguns, determined that the plated bullets do not fair well. The plating is soft and thin. I personally have not tried them, but if you have a few -- go ahead and try 'em. For plinking purposes, use Hornady data for H4227, Enforcer or AA #9. Keep the velocities on the low side, while enough pressure to work the action. Use the 240 gr. bullet data to start with. The charts are in our knowledge base. What is the actual measured diameter of the plated bullets?

I am currently working on such a load using prepared 284 cases and 230 grain Montana Gold RN.
Siringo

Postby NordicRX8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm

I traded a fellow at the local gun club, a box (100pcs) of Hornady 230gr FMJ-FP for a 250pc box of 230gr RN Berrys. I intended on using them as a plinking projectile for my .460 Rowland. Maybe my taper crimp cut into the plating, but when fired our of a 5" Clark Custom Guns conversion kit on my 1911, the plating separated from the bulk of the bullet and left TWO holes in a new target. I finished the magazine (7 more rounds), and when inspecting the target... it looked like I was using a shotgun instead of a pistol. This load was near the starting load for 230gr 460 Rowland. I pulled the remaining 42 rounds and used the bullets in .45acp. While there was a fine line where the 460 crimp was, the taper crimp on the .45acp was at a different location and these "pulled" bullets functioned fine.

Not sure I would use them in my Thumper just based on my experience with them in .460 Rowland.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby BD1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I shot .45 acp Berry's and Rainiers for a few years when I belonged to a local indoor range which did not allow necked cast boolits. They shot fine, but had thier own brand of fouling that was a pain to remove. They even "plated" the feed ramp. Maybe the chrome bore of the .450B wouldn't foul the same way, but since the outdoor range allows lead I don't see any reason to spend extra $$ finding out.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:12 pm

OK, so I'll take that as a no ;)
Thanks,
John
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:26 am

I use the Berry's bullets almost exclusively for 40 S&W and have had great results with them for plinking and IDPA matches. I believe Berry's recommends you keep loads below about 1400 fps for most of their bullets. A few, such as their rifle bullets can be loaded up to 1700 fps, but they really aren't high velocity bullets.

I don't think they would be a good fit for the 450 unless you were loading really light, or trying to load subsonic.
Colohunter

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 am

I know the 300gr 45cal Rainiers I have on hand, the plating is only .004 thick. Powerbond has a heavier plating of around .010, but nothing heavier than 230gr at this point.

Catter was working on a hardcast plated bullet awhile back, have to rattle his cage and see if anything came from it.
Al in Mi

Postby BarracudaBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have had a lot of fun reading about and trying new things with "Thumper". I figured it was my time to give some info back. I have the 16" upper. I have a variety of lowers. As long as the lower is good and tight it doesn't seem to matter with the 450BM upper. Two things I would highly suggest is using a wolf extra power buffer spring and a large charging handle latch from Model 1 :D . I found with hunting the large mag release button was a bad idea :( . My hunting lower had the Magpul CTR butstock. It is very nice and quiet. No rattle. Had my upper for about a year and have 2 deer & 3 hogs so far.

I feel that I have successfully mastered using .284 Win Brass and 230gr FMJ for plinking :mrgreen: . I had about 50% success from 100 of 284 win I started with but after shooting the "good" ones and reloaded them 3 times I am past the learning curve. Many have published how to make 450BM brass from .284 so I'll skip that part.

Here is what I found for a good load data. I have attached a picture taken yesterday at 100 yards. This was 10 rounds from a bench in rapid fire. Note it was a windy day 15 to 20mph so I was impressed. On a calm day it would be around 0.75-1.5” That is why I was at the rage, to windy to get lobsters on the last weekend of lobster season her in FL. I just put a new Nikon Omega Muzzleloader scope on. Mixed reviews on the scope. Optical clarity was great but when I went to 200 years you can forget their ballistic reticle….. More later about the scope.

Back to the load data. After about 3 months and 6 trips to the range here is what I found:

"450 Bobster"
Magtech Bulk Bullets 45 ACP 230gr FMJ from Cabalas P# Item :IA-215351
CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers # 250
40.2gr Little Gun
2.225” OAL
Brass trimmed @ 1.697”

There are no signs of over pressure and they imitated the factory Hornady Load very well. I had some hotter loads but they started moving the primer out. After 60 rounds yesterday not a single primer moved with this formula. I tried some other 45 ACP bullets and they were a disaster. Must have a good copper jacket.

I found a couple of things that were critical:
If the brass is cut to short below the 1.690 and the OAL is to short then the cartridge will go too far into the chamber. The firing pin just will just barely make it to the primer and won't ignite. The cartridge also can't be removed by the bolt either. This cartridge is a dream with its straight walls but is OAL/CL still critical.

I must admit that I am trying to consolidate my reloading components. I shoot 300 win mag & 300 RUM so I have a good supply of LRM primers. In other round substituting Mag for standard was problematic but in the 450BM it was a non issue.

Here is the disclaimer: Don't try this at home, ever!

Thanks for reading,

Bob
Attachments
450BM_230gr.jpg
.452 230gr Magtech 40.2 Lil' Gun
450BM_230gr.jpg (47.15 KiB) Viewed 17391 times
BarracudaBob

Postby gunnut » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Very nice! I'd say you've Mastered the 284 cases. Are you doing any inside reaming? and, What crimp are you using?
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:16 pm

BarracudaBob, you ah Bad-Boy,

You've been lurking here for some time now and this first post is a duzy! And your Penance is a Lobster Bake on Opening day of MuzzleBrake Season, up in Gunny's AO (Ok guys, so I have no shame, but I like Lobster and I think Bob here is shooting them with his 450b, so it's legal, right?).

Great post, keep'em coming..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b