Dumb Question

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Dumb Question

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Okay, I plead ignorance of Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 4-Die Sets. In the box my set came with, there is a, for lack of a better term, plug. It is not mentioned in the worthless manual that came with the set. Its suspiciously .448" in diameter, no taper and one end had a larger diameter (.492) head that could serve as an insertion stop. The ends are quite sharply edged, so I can't imagine it being an expander as it would be shaving brass the whole way. It makes me think it would substitute for the seating die conical bullet plug for seating flat nosed bullets. For as much as it cost, you think Hornady could have included an applicable manual for it. Anyone know if it was supposed to be in there and if so, what it does? It was lying loose, outside the other dies. The expander die already has an expander/flaring plug in it. I can provide a picture if it doesn't ring a bell. I reload for about 15 calibers, both rifle and pistol and have never seen anything like it.
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Dumb Question

Postby Siringo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Errant unfinshed part?
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:49 pm

not to sound flippent but call them. they are very nice folk.

I didn't get anything like that.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Manuals take time to write, edit and publish... If they held up production on the whatchamacallits waiting on a manual, we would be screaming "when are they going to get these to market?" This way we have them, even if we don't know exactly what they are.
bushmeister

Postby BayouBob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

One came in my set too. I assumed it was a flat faced insert for the floating bullet seater.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby NordicRX8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 am

BayouBob wrote:One came in my set too. I assumed it was a flat faced insert for the floating bullet seater.

Mine did as well. I figured it was the flat faced seating plug/stem. I disassembled the seating die and noticed the installed seating plug to be of the same diensions but with a different face.

Odd that others die sets didn't include one... must have been the "early" die sets.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:47 am

Yeah, the seating stem was my likely assumption, but I wanted to hear it from others. I've never got a pistol die set with a separate wad-cutter stem included at no extra price.

Regarding the manual. The dies have been out long enough that they could have put together a manual by now. My Hornady reloading manuals are pre-450B.

On a separate note. If a fellow beveled the leading edge on that flat-nosed stem and polished it, it would make an interesting non-flaring expander. .448" is not a bad choice given the spring-back nature of brass and it would not compromise the role of flat-nose seater.

Still waiting with bated breath, for the email notification that my upper has shipped. All this foreplay is getting a little tedious.

Thanks everyone for your input,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 am

It is in fact a seating plug for flat nose and hollow point bullets. The other plug has an ogive profile specifically for the FTX bullets, and is not the best choice for some other bullet designs.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Return to Reloading for the 450b