sierra bullets/450BM

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: sierra bullets/450BM

Postby Clipity » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 am

hogbuster wrote:Wildcatter, thanks for the reply, is the factory powder you mentioned commercially available ?

I'm not Wildcatter but the powder WC is refering to is WC297 (Wildcatter=WC then WC297 powder used for 450b coincidence, don't know ;) ) it can be found on the net. I found a few places selling 8lb. jugs for around $148.
Clipity

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Clipity wrote:
hogbuster wrote:Wildcatter, thanks for the reply, is the factory powder you mentioned commercially available ?

I'm not Wildcatter but the powder WC is refering to is WC297 (Wildcatter=WC then WC297 powder used for 450b coincidence, don't know ;) ) it can be found on the net. I found a few places selling 8lb. jugs for around $148.

$89.99/8lb @ http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/pr ... ory=Powder ..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

hogbuster wrote: ... Just wondering, Is there any such thing as getting a bad can of powder ?

hogbuster-
Could you clarify what you might describe as a "bad can of powder"? The powder manufacturers have very, very infrequently had to issue a recall on some lots of powder which did not conform to their standards of cannister powder for sale to reloaders. Also very rarely, some lots of powder have more problems than usual with decomposition. Nitrocellulose, the main component of smokeless powder, will deteriorate through time, releasing some acidic compounds. Stabilizers are usually added to the powders and prevent the deterioration. Perhaps you meant something else.
hogbuster wrote: ... is the factory powder you mentioned commercially available ?

As mentioned, the powder Hornady uses is 297, and you can buy it at prices usually less than the per pound price of the usual powders used for reloading.

However, CAUTION is required with 297 and other powders sold similarly. These powders can vary a great deal between manufacturing lots. From lot to to lot, they can be much less uniform than the usual "cannister grade" powders sold to reloaders. This is not a big deal for Hornady, because they'll buy a boxcar load of a single lot and adjust their powder drops as needed go get the velocities and pressures they want; they have the pressure testing labs to do this. This variation means that safe-load data one person gets for their lot of WC844, for example, may blow up another person's gun with a different lot.

Powder manufacturers work hard to make sure the powders sold for reloading have very uniform burning rates among different lots. Here's an ad that Alliant put out in the mid-1990s to emphasize that point. (The powder is an early form of Unique, but as the ad says, it doesn't have the stabilizers that were included in later versions, so it''s stored under water)
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Hoot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 am

"Store in a cool, dry location..." Image

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Clipity » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:56 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Clipity wrote:

$89.99/8lb @ http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/pr ... ory=Powder ..

..t

Glad I was just surfing the web for the powder and not buying it......Doh!
Clipity

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 am

pitted bore wrote:
hogbuster wrote: ... Just wondering, Is there any such thing as getting a bad can of powder ?

hogbuster-
Could you clarify what you might describe as a "bad can of powder"? The powder manufacturers have very, very infrequently had to issue a recall on some lots of powder which did not conform to their standards of cannister powder for sale to reloaders. Also very rarely, some lots of powder have more problems than usual with decomposition. Nitrocellulose, the main component of smokeless powder, will deteriorate through time, releasing some acidic compounds. Stabilizers are usually added to the powders and prevent the deterioration. Perhaps you meant something else.
hogbuster wrote: ... is the factory powder you mentioned commercially available ?

As mentioned, the powder Hornady uses is 297, and you can buy it at prices usually less than the per pound price of the usual powders used for reloading.

However, CAUTION is required with 297 and other powders sold similarly. These powders can vary a great deal between manufacturing lots. From lot to to lot, they can be much less uniform than the usual "cannister grade" powders sold to reloaders. This is not a big deal for Hornady, because they'll buy a boxcar load of a single lot and adjust their powder drops as needed go get the velocities and pressures they want; they have the pressure testing labs to do this. This variation means that safe-load data one person gets for their lot of WC844, for example, may blow up another person's gun with a different lot.

Powder manufacturers work hard to make sure the powders sold for reloading have very uniform burning rates among different lots. Here's an ad that Alliant put out in the mid-1990s to emphasize that point. (The powder is an early form of Unique, but as the ad says, it doesn't have the stabilizers that were included in later versions, so it''s stored under water)
--Bob

Thanks Bob...Ok Guys, heed his advice. When I buy the bulk/military type powders, I buy enough of ONE Lot, so that I can work up loads, for only that Lot, and have powder for them, for years..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b