4227 Powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

4227 Powder

Postby Siringo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Loaded up some test rounds using 4227. I used 284 winchester cases that had been once fired and reamed to .452 inches prior to sizing.

Used CCI BR Large Rifle Primers (what I had on hand) and 230 gr Round Nose Montana Gold bullets. These actually measure .4505 inches in diameter. The prepped cases where sized but not expanded to achieve proper neck tension -- used taper crimp.

I used charges from 34.0 grs to 38.5 grs. Accuracy was very poor on the lower half (6 inch spread). Once the charges got to 37 grs and up, things started to settle down. Last 5 shot group at 38.5 grs was about 2 inches or slightly less.

In all loads, sooting all the way down to the extractor groove. Had one FTE with the 38.5 gr charge. Nearly tore the rim of the case off. Note that I am also using a heavy buffer system (10 oz.)

Thoughts -- this powder is too slow and on the upper charges, port pressure is higher than using Lil'gun. Undersize bullets begin to shoot better when the pressure gets high enough to bump them to bore size.

My reason for testing this was to develop a nice low velocity 230 grain load.

ALSO -- this powder is really dirty as compared to Lil'Gun.
Siringo

Re: 4227 Powder

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Siringo, did you get speeds? I love 4227, but you are right, the bolt is opening too soon and the pressures are too low at the same time. If you keep to this end you're going to have to use a rifle length gas system and get the pressures up to keep the sooting down and to get a good seal, but then the speeds are going to come up. Might want to go the other way and use something like blue dot over cream-of-wheat?? Might not work either, but then again we can always have breakfast at your house, with the c-o-w lol.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: 4227 Powder

Postby Siringo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm

No velocities. I went off Hornady's orginal data, so I was from 1700 to 2000.
Siringo

Return to Reloading for the 450b