Ouchies

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Ouchies

Postby pitted bore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:18 pm

I've a bruised shoulder today. With the snow gone and a free weekend, I finally returned to the problem of working up loads for pushing 185-grain bullets at relatively high velocities. (Chapters 1-6 of the saga are in this reloading forum.) The Saturday series resulted in loads running about 3050 fps on the chronograph.

A quick check of loading manuals shows that 180-grain bullets at that velocity are the province of the 300 Win Mag. 3050 is above the velocities for 180s from the 300 Rem Saum, 300 Win Short Mag, and 300 H&H.

The problem is that the little bolt gun weighs only about 7 lbs, and it has a hard plastic butt plate. Quite hard. Really quite hard. Really most sincerely hard.

My spouse was not sympathetic: "Who was it loaded the ammo and pulled the trigger? Poor little bubula!" (She's a Jersey girl, you understand.) I'll do a few more tests and write another chapter.

I also just obtained some 185-grain hollow point jacketed bullets by Prvi Partizan to try out. Since they're designed for about 1500 fps max, it will be interesting to find whether they come apart on the way to the target. Such disintegration was predicted on the calguns thread a year ago when I proposed working with 185s, which is why I chose the fully encapsulated SWCs. The new bullets measure only 0.4495" in diameter, instead of the true 0.451" dia of the encapsulated SWCs that I've been playing with to date. I'm not sure what the effect of this will be.

The photo on Graf's web site (attached below) shows a cannelure for the bullet. I had hoped to combine this feature with a side crimp, but the cannelure is absent from the bullets in the shipment I received. I'm disappointed. We shall see how things work out.

--Bob
Attachments
ppb45hp185.jpg
Prvi Partizan .451 HP 185 grain. Cannelure is not present on shipment I received.
ppb45hp185.jpg (7.27 KiB) Viewed 11261 times
pitted bore

Re: Ouchies

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:28 pm

pitted bore wrote:I've a bruised shoulder today. With the snow gone and a free weekend, I finally returned to the problem of working up loads for pushing 185-grain bullets at relatively high velocities. (Chapters 1-6 of the saga are in this reloading forum.) The Saturday series resulted in loads running about 3050 fps on the chronograph.

A quick check of loading manuals shows that 180-grain bullets at that velocity are the province of the 300 Win Mag. 3050 is above the velocities for 180s from the 300 Rem Saum, 300 Win Short Mag, and 300 H&H.

The problem is that the little bolt gun weighs only about 7 lbs, and it has a hard plastic butt plate. Quite hard. Really quite hard. Really most sincerely hard.

My spouse was not sympathetic: "Who was it loaded the ammo and pulled the trigger? Poor little bubula!" (She's a Jersey girl, you understand.) I'll do a few more tests and write another chapter.

I also just obtained some 185-grain hollow point jacketed bullets by Prvi Partizan to try out. Since they're designed for about 1500 fps max, it will be interesting to find whether they come apart on the way to the target. Such disintegration was predicted on the calguns thread a year ago when I proposed working with 185s, which is why I chose the fully encapsulated SWCs. The new bullets measure only 0.4495" in diameter, instead of the true 0.451" dia of the encapsulated SWCs that I've been playing with to date. I'm not sure what the effect of this will be.

The photo on Graf's web site (attached below) shows a cannelure for the bullet. I had hoped to combine this feature with a side crimp, but the cannelure is absent from the bullets in the shipment I received. I'm disappointed. We shall see how things work out.

--Bob

Hey Bobber, gotta get some kind of pad going, even if it's a rolled piece of carpet or blanket or something. When you shoot those Hollow-Heads, you're definitely going to see some are not going to make the target, especially with that 16twist barrel, if I remember right. Look out at about 25yds and you see the Purple Haze, of the exploding bullet. But they are sure the bullet of choice for Home Defense, they won't go through much. What was the barrel length again?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:28 pm

T-
Not to worry about a pad. I've got a couple of PAST shoulder pads, but they weren't in the kit at the range on Saturday.

The barrel on the Springfield is 20 inches in length. Your memory is good: the barrel has the regulation 45 ACP twist, 1 turn in 16 inches.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 am

pitted bore wrote:T-
Not to worry about a pad. I've got a couple of PAST shoulder pads, but they weren't in the kit at the range on Saturday.

The barrel on the Springfield is 20 inches in length. Your memory is good: the barrel has the regulation 45 ACP twist, 1 turn in 16 inches.

--Bob

Yuppers (yhat yoopers talk), wit dat 16t, yoze go-na smoke some of those Holler-Heads, but thats kinda fun anyways too. Never had one stay in the barrel, they'll smoke down range, but if ya gets a funny sound, ya either needs to look for Big-Foot or ya might want to check duh barrel, A..lol

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 pm

wildcatter wrote:Yuppers (yhat yoopers talk), wit dat 16t, yoze go-na smoke some of those Holler-Heads, but thats kinda fun anyways too. Never had one stay in the barrel, they'll smoke down range, but if ya gets a funny sound, ya either needs to look for Big-Foot or ya might want to check duh barrel, A.
T-
I appreciate the safety warning. Fortunately, with the bolt gun it's easy to check the barrel for left-behind jackets. I plan to have some big paper targets at 25 yards to catch the bullets or their fragments.

I think I'll hum along with Elvis while I'm checking these out at the range: "Wise men say, only fools rush in..."

(You need to spend more time up north. I've never heard a Yooper say "yuppers". The universal word for agreement is "Ya". <grin>)

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

pitted bore wrote:
wildcatter wrote:Yuppers (yhat yoopers talk), wit dat 16t, yoze go-na smoke some of those Holler-Heads, but thats kinda fun anyways too. Never had one stay in the barrel, they'll smoke down range, but if ya gets a funny sound, ya either needs to look for Big-Foot or ya might want to check duh barrel, A.
T-
I appreciate the safety warning. Fortunately, with the bolt gun it's easy to check the barrel for left-behind jackets. I plan to have some big paper targets at 25 yards to catch the bullets or their fragments.

I think I'll hum along with Elvis while I'm checking these out at the range: "Wise men say, only fools rush in..."

(You need to spend more time up north. I've never heard a Yooper say "yuppers". The universal word for agreement is "Ya". <grin>)

--Bob

I wondered of you were going to catch that. What I was doing was imitating a Troll, imitating a Yooper, lol..

Ok, it's a Michigan Thing, lol..

And ah-sides, is that an invite to come up there a Violate Deer (something all Yoopers do, their opening day is the 4th of July, ya-Ole) with you sometime soon?

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Reloading for the 450b