200 FTX - Going the other way

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 200 FTX - Going the other way

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 pm

8-) i thought the chromed chamber & high press operating system was a perfect platform for my testing in the semi-auto. most other semi's require the small base dies; and these rounds will be used for hunting only. the plinkers will still get the full length treatment just because it's less tidious. as stated earlier, i have gained excellent results in my lever guns & revolvers without over working those cases during the resizing process. a noticable increase in case capacity was realized in the 357,41,44mags, with compressed H110 loads; the 45lc +p's being the exception. i have not reached a compressed charge with the H110 yet, but should be there soon. i figured the magnum primers were a no brainer. i would like to see the necks open a little more to seal the throat so i can get a good read on the pressure. i should get there before the web starts expanding enough to exhibit any extraction problems. so for, i'm pleased with the results. ;)

i'm not looking for a hotrod 200gr load, but the velocity increase would be welcomed with a smile. and those 200gr all coppers from the "other" guys will bring an added deminsion on the terminal end. i may have those worked up too before ya'll thaw out :P
Last edited by MOUNTIN DU on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Hoot » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote:8-) ...snip... i figured the win mag primers were a no brainer...snip...

Now you have me confused. I assumed you were referring to the CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer. I didn't realize any other manufacturer made small rifle magnum primers. Some folks say Wolf doesn't count as their Magnum primers are their standard primers with only a thicker cup material. Does Winchester make a WSRM?

I too would like to get a better mouth seal with slower powders or lighter loads. Oddly though, some of my more accurate groups with the 200 FTX came from loadings that yielded sooty cases. Go figure... I can't stress enough that my first reloading with the 450b was with the 200 FTX and I've learned a lot more of the nuances associated with reloading this caliber since that early work. My experiments with the 200 FTX and Lil Gun came later, but also during a time when my scope was getting intermittent before it died, so those results may be skewed. Come spring, I'll be back out there with the 200's. Who knows, maybe something new will come along by then as well, but I still like the idea of the 200s for whitetails. Looking at how well they hold together, those lighter Barnes all copper bullets are appealing as well for whitetails, just not sensible for plinking considering their cost. I may be visiting them as well.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 pm

:shock: Oops... your right about the primers :oops: i'm the confused party :oops: sorry bout that, cci 450 mags :? the 500's i loaded with the wlrm's... and it's the first time i used them but i haven't shot any yet. :| i'll go edit my mistake on that post. :roll:

the all copper "other guys" bullets are the ones you found at midway; general bullets. i think i'm gonna try some to see if they compare with the barnes. ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:51 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::shock: Oops... your right about the primers :oops: i'm the confused party :oops: sorry bout that, cci 450 mags :? the 500's i loaded with the wlrm's... and it's the first time i used them but i haven't shot any yet. :| i'll go edit my mistake on that post. :roll:

the all copper "other guys" bullets are the ones you found at midway; general bullets. i think i'm gonna try some to see if they compare with the barnes. ;)

I went to the General Bullet web site two days ago and they're out of about everything in .45 caliber. I sent them a PM asking to be notified by email when they get more in. Either they are the OEM for Barnes, or they buy Barnes' production overruns (hopefully not QA rejects). I would like to try some of those 200 gr. XPBs as soon as General has more in.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:34 am

I finally fixed the broken image and video links in this thread that I lost when I changed ISP a few years back.

Hoot
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b