Anyone else looking for a SOLID?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Anyone else looking for a SOLID?

Postby BarracudaBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:30 am

I don't remember my COAL but I do recall that I seated them pretty far in the cartage. I bought one box and I still have 11 of the 20 left. Looked great but just didn't perform. The Magtech 230gr blew them away so I just never loaded any more of the Barns XPB.

My 45-70 Crimp die showed up today. I'll be loading tonight and fishing & shootin in the morning! :lol:

Here is the powder info:
http://timberwalkestates.com/450bm/index.htm
BarracudaBob

Postby pitted bore » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:30 pm

BarracudaBob wrote:Here is the powder info: http://timberwalkestates.com/450bm/index.htm
BarracudaBob-

I'm really glad I asked for info, and your supplying a link to the data is really helpful. I especially like the graph showing powder charge vs bullet weight (2nd degree polynomial ?): Link to Graph

Because I'm still playing with lighter bullets, I have to ask how the points were obtained for them.

I notice that the data points shown for velocities and loads with the 240-, 250-, and 300-grain bullets were taken from Hornady's load sheets. Were the points for the 225-, 230-, and 275-grain bullets taken from your own work? Were the points for the 180- and 200-grain bullets also your own work or were they extrapolated by extension of the line?

Many thanks for your help.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby BarracudaBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:49 pm

I took all known good data and plotted a chart then calculated a formula to imitate the graph. I did this a while back and based my 230 & 275 gr bullets on it. I just recently added 180 & 225 to the chart.

I modified my Lee 45-70 die tonight and plan on loading tomorrow night. I had excellent beginners luck but apparently after the 3rd & 4th reloading my 284 win cartridges are getting a personally of their own. Some refused to go bang last weekend. I am looking forward to correcting there attitude with the new crimp die.

A poor day of fishing is a good day of shooting… Empty beer cans beware!

P.S. you should see what my .357 Mag "Power Head" does to 40 lb groupers.... Yummy..
BarracudaBob

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b