Anyone else looking for a SOLID?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Anyone else looking for a SOLID?

Postby HillBilly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I've been racking my brain and checking all of the regular spots for a 280-300gr solid or flat point FMJ... All kinds of 325gr available but, I want something a little bit lighter...

A nice 280gr bonded soft point would be nice also...

I really dont want to call Corbin to make me up a set of swaging dies for either bullet...

Maybe I can talk to these guys...
http://diamondbackcbf.com/Bullet_Examples.html
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Re: Anyone else looking for a SOLID?

Postby pitted bore » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 pm

HillBilly-
Have you ruled out the 275-grain Barnes, their product number 45105?

It's not a solid, but it should hold together and penetrate about as well as a bonded soft point.

--Bob
Attachments
45105.jpg
- - - image from MidwayUSA.com
45105.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 19445 times
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Are the 230 FMJ-FP by Hornady or Nosler to light for your application. Or how about some of those hard cast, gas checked, LBT bullets from say a company like Cast Performance or some such. They, for instance have FP's from 265-395gr. The Hard Cast work much like a FMJ. Don't forget, that Drawing Down something like the 458 Hornady 325gr FTX to 452, or a lighter 458, is cheap and a snap to do.

But I know what you mean and are after with the FP's. The FP's give me sufficient accuracy to hit anything I need or want to hit, and the total terminal performance on flesh is way better than expansion bullets, Hands Down.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby HillBilly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

If I could get that hornady a wee bit heavier I would be a happy hillbilly. I am a confirmed cast bullet guy and use either my own handywork or Marshal Stantons Bear Tooth Bullets...

I want a good heavy jacket fmj or solid due to the fact that fuzzies are not the only thing I shoot... I keep a steady supply of car doors and cars at the range... You never know when you will get attacked by a 1981 Chevy Malibu...lol... :lol:
HillBilly

Postby BayouBob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

An actual solid would have to be some sort of rifle caliber bullet as opposed to a pistol caliber. (That is an awfully fuzzy line to cross these days.) I talked to Randy Brooks about it several years ago when they stopped making their wonderful banded solids for .44 magnums. It seems the "Cop Killer Bullet Act" outlawed any type of handgun bullet made out of solid bronze or brass. I still have a small hoard of them in .429; talk about a wonderful bullet! A 240 grain Keith style bullet made of solid bronze that will penetrate anything with absolutely no deformation.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby HillBilly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:42 pm

I could turn some pretty easy but, I just dont have the time...
HillBilly

Postby Siringo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Try Lehigh bullets. But be prepared to pay! Specializes in bullets for the 458S crowd. OR try the Barnes busters.
Siringo

Postby BarracudaBob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 am

I have tried the Barnes 275gr xpb and they just don't group like the Hornady 250 gr Ftx but they do look bad ass when loaded :D
BarracudaBob

Postby Siringo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 am

I agree with accuracy not being up to par with the Hornady bullets. Primary cause (IMO) is they are .4505 to .4510 in diameter. I wish Barnes would get on the stick and make them .452 since the bullet(s) primary intent was to be used in the 460 S&W magnum -- which has a .452 bore.

However, accuracy is more than adequate for the distances the 450B is used.

What load are you using -- I settled on 35 grs of Lil'gun w/WSR Primers. ~ 2050 fps.
Siringo

Postby pitted bore » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 am

BarracudaBob-

Siringo beat me to posting a request for your load data with the Barnes 275s. Sometimes knowing what doesn't work is more helpful than knowing what does. Could you post powder types and amounts, and maybe primers and C.O.A.L.?

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b