*Hello to all our new members*

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: *Hello to all our new members*

Postby papajohn » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Howdy to all 1122 of you, I'm delighted to be among such a truly rarefied group of shooters. I'm on a couple of other fora (MarlinOwners, S&W, Levergun Scoundrels) but I've been sniffing around here a good bit lately and finally decided to join up and say hello.

I've been reloading since the early 80's but picked up a 450 BM upper last fall, and have been tinkering with it ever since. I think it's one of the coolest rounds extant, and while I'm still experimenting with loads, I have faith this rifle is a shooter. Yes, I am another one of those people who couldn't resist the sale at Midway back in October! Unca Larry hadn't been getting as much of my money as in past years, but that was one sale I couldn't resist, and didn't much try. 8-)
papajohn

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 am

Welcome to our electronic campfire! Pull up a stump!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Gtek » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello All, well I am in the club with recent on sale Christmas purchase from Big Larry. Waiting on remaining lower parts to complete, could have thrown top on others but duplicating my Socom and did not want to disturb it or the others. Glad I did but the journey has started out with some bumps. Initial tear down found carrier key to gas tube engagement very rough and misaligned. No big deal, not the first one to be tweaked here. On to hand guard removal, in block grabbed with strap wrench, tube, lock and barrel nut rolled. Ok, bump back and removed gas tube and rolled front end off. Wrench in vise and stood assembly vertical and light heat applied and tube removed from nut. Two threads worth of white whatever found 1/4" up from rear. On upper RH face of gas hole was run through finish at the nine o'clock looking in for about 3/16" just about gas tube size in width. My guess was somebody had a tube or punch in one hand and a barrel nut wrench in the other and rolled till it went through and out the door (guess). Removed gas block and pin gauged port and found to be a tight .092". Visual on all and cleaned for reassembly (weapon was apparently test fired). Nut clocked perfect @ 52 ft. lbs.. Gas block alignment confirmed post installation in factory drilled set locations with HAWKEYE and found good. A little thumbing on gas tube and slick we are now, it/me are now happy. Will be living on a Anderson lower with Ace butt with Hogue grip, Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 for glass. Soon to be THUMPING!
Gtek

Postby bhsl8 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed my exposure so far. Just picked up my upper yesterday and she will share a LAR-15 with my 458 SOCOM until I build out a dedicated lower. I have no preconceived notions as to what lower, LPK etc to use. Suggestions won't hurt my feelings. I'm a little disappointed in the mag that came with it and I'm curious about the cryptic "black follower". Anywhere to get some now? Has anyone used a 3D printer for such a project? Thanks again. I look forward to the ride.

bhsl8
bhsl8

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 am

bhsl8 wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed my exposure so far. Just picked up my upper yesterday and she will share a LAR-15 with my 458 SOCOM until I build out a dedicated lower. I have no preconceived notions as to what lower, LPK etc to use. Suggestions won't hurt my feelings. I'm a little disappointed in the mag that came with it and I'm curious about the cryptic "black follower". Anywhere to get some now? Has anyone used a 3D printer for such a project? Thanks again. I look forward to the ride.

bhsl8

Welcome Aboard!

I don't know your preferences but you can get a complete Rock River Arms A2 lower with the National Match trigger group for $279.00 online. That's the route I went with my first 450b. Good to go right out of the box, to go with a good to go right out of the box upper. I enjoy hobby smithing, but building up a lower is not my idea of entertaining.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:57 pm

bhsl8 wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed my exposure so far. Just picked up my upper yesterday and she will share a LAR-15 with my 458 SOCOM until I build out a dedicated lower. I have no preconceived notions as to what lower, LPK etc to use. Suggestions won't hurt my feelings. I'm a little disappointed in the mag that came with it and I'm curious about the cryptic "black follower". Anywhere to get some now? Has anyone used a 3D printer for such a project? Thanks again. I look forward to the ride.

bhsl8

I've built three lowers (and two AR uppers, not BM450's) with no prior experience. A good place to start is on the Brownells AR Builder site, where you can drag and drop various components onto a template. Some of the components, like the internals (all the springs, pins, and usually the fire control group), and buffer tube assembly (buffer, tube and spring) can be purchased as sets and won't matter that much (with the exception of the trigger). You can customize your buttstock, pistol grip and trigger guard. You will also need some tools (lower vise block, punches, etc.), and Brownells has a list. They also have a step by step video series for each component - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/?cm_sp=Secondary%20Banner-_-Lower%20Learn%20Feature-_-AR15_Videos.

Here are some links

- Brownells AR Builder - http://www.ar15builder.com/
- Midway AR internals - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/862947/ar-stoner-customizable-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15
- Midway Buffer Assembly - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/866002/ar-stoner-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-assembly-6-position-mil-spec-diameter-ar-15-aluminum-black

Popular triggers are from Timney and Geissele (I have both). You can find dozens of pistol grips and buttstocks. I like the more ergonometric pistol grips like the Mission First - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411450/mission-first-tactical-g27-tactical-pistol-grip-with-storage-compartment-ar-15-polymer, and I have put a recoil reducing buttstock on my 450BM - http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/gl-shock-with-gspc-cheek-riser-sku100010738-44021-105947.aspx.

Hope this helps.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 pm

bhsl8

Forgot the most important part of the lower - the lower receiver. This is the part that must be purchased from an FFL and for which you will need a background check. I searched the internet and finally bought mine online from AeroPrecision http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black.html, but they are widely available. I found the one I ordered from AP, and which took a month to get, at a local gun show for the same price, so if you have a gun show near you, this would be a good place to "shop." I would plan to spend at least $100 or thereabouts on one, although you can find them cheaper.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Bmt85 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am

Hey guys, another S.E. Michigander here. Picked up a 450 bm (factory 16") for last years hunting season, unfortunately didn't get a clear shot (twice actually). Been reloading for a short time (mostly .223) and decided it's time to start on the 450. So it should be even more fun.
Bmt85

Postby Thom28 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Good Evening Fellow Members,
I am new to the forum after purchasing a Bushmaster 450 XM 15 20" barrel yesterday. I am not new to the AR platform as I have been shooting a Ruger AR556 for a while now.
I sighted in my rifle this morning and was amazed at how accurate it was. I have a Nikon P223 3x9 scope on it. I have it sighted in at 100 yards and it is 1.5" inches low at 150 yards, which is the maximum distance I can shoot from my deer blind. I am sure I will be asking some questions as I become more familiar with this rifle.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:25 am

Thom28 wrote:Good Evening Fellow Members,
I am new to the forum after purchasing a Bushmaster 450 XM 15 20" barrel yesterday. I am not new to the AR platform as I have been shooting a Ruger AR556 for a while now.
I sighted in my rifle this morning and was amazed at how accurate it was. I have a Nikon P223 3x9 scope on it. I have it sighted in at 100 yards and it is 1.5" inches low at 150 yards, which is the maximum distance I can shoot from my deer blind. I am sure I will be asking some questions as I become more familiar with this rifle.

Welcome to our electronic campfire!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b