What reamers are you guys using for .284?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

What reamers are you guys using for .284?

Postby deskjockey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 am

Ok so I tried using brand new .284 brass and it is a touch too thick resulting in a "shoulder" at the base of the bullet.

What reamer are you guys using to utilize this brass?
deskjockey

Re: What reamers are you guys using for .284?

Postby BD1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

I used a .452 forstner reamer that they make to fit in thier case trimmer. I used it on unsized fired cases when seating the 325 grain FTXs and cast boolits sized .453. I haven't needed it for the 250 grain FTX or 250 grain Nosler JHPs. I wouldn't lose any sleep over seeing the heel of the bullet through the brass unless it interferes with chambering. You'll see that on a lot of straight wall cases.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 am

BD1 wrote:I used a .452 forstner reamer that they make to fit in thier case trimmer. I used it on unsized fired cases when seating the 325 grain FTXs and cast boolits sized .453. I haven't needed it for the 250 grain FTX or 250 grain Nosler JHPs. I wouldn't lose any sleep over seeing the heel of the bullet through the brass unless it interferes with chambering. You'll see that on a lot of straight wall cases.
BD

true story buy a box of 230gr 45 GAP ammo, just about every round shows the heel through the case...
thebrassnuckles

Postby deskjockey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks guys!

I am using the 45200 (.452) 250 Gr HP/XTP
deskjockey

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:55 pm

I also use the .452 reamer, but only on un-sized once fired cases. I first fired .4505" - 230 grain round nose bullets in the unreamed cases. Then reaming the inside neck to .452 after firing. After that, the neck wall and inside diameters of the neck were very close the the factory 450 case dimensions.

On a fresh cut 284 case, the inside dimension measures .440". Sized, but not expanded 450 cases measure .445 inches. Forster will make custom reamers. I am considering purchasing a .445 for the initial reaming.

If you put your .452 bullets in the unreamed 284 case -- it is going to stick in the chamber. Lots of previous posts about that. Then you need the side crimp to squish everything down to fit.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Natchez has the .452 Forstner reamer for $18.73. How on earth do you index it so that it's not off center? It doesn't have a flash hole pilot. Do you just let everything float and hope for the best? Does it have a slight taper to get it off on the right foot? Just curious. Before I was able to get some 1st-fired 450b brass, I tried some new .284 cases and the .451 230 gr Hornady JHPs bullets bulged the cases as Siringo mentioned. I tried to shrink the case back with the taper crimp and the brass did not thin. It just squeezed the JHPs down to sub-caliber, so I abandoned the entire process and sold the remaining brass.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:20 pm

The front of the reamer is beveled so it gets a straight start. I use the good ole' standard Forester case trimmer -- so everything stays relatively straight and square. Case wall thickness seems consistent. It is a lot of work and you do have to ask yourself why? But all part of the game. I just tried it because I could!!!!

The only real advantage is another source of brass that uses LR primers.

I just ordered a custom .445 for the first cut and will see how that plays out. May be a month before I get it.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Couple of things, first Hoot has an interesting concern. In the past I have annealed a std 284 sizer die, then drilling and reaming the top of the die makes the perfect jig for keeping everything hot-straight-and-normal. But, here's something to consider, if your going to buy a reamer, call my buddy Dave at Loon Lake Reamers, the builders of all my reamers, and the reamers for Bushy's 450, and have a reamer made to freshen the chamber. Now, you'd only want to freshen enough so that you can chamber, cut 284 cases with a 458 bullet installed in the case, but still be able to head space off the mouth of the std 450 factory case. This is something I have done for many long years and the advantage is many strong. First, I don't have to ream. Second, the LeGendre Side Crimp takes care of any concerns of the case not sealing because the necks are thick. And Third, and this is the BIGGIE, But as they say this suggestion is for the extreme expert, not to be done by anyone not completely familiar with the DANGERS. I don't Draw down/Swage my 458 bullets. I adjust the loads, for the negligible increase in pressures and LET THE 452 BARREL DO THE DRAWING!! To tell you the truth, I can't see any increase in pressures. But until I get my pressure equipment up and running there is no real reliable way to quantify this, but, just adjust the powder load amount down, bringing up the amount until YOU feel enough is still SAFE.
My thought is this, you can ream ALL your cases or you can ream the chamber, once. I'd like to take credit for all this, Drawing stuff, but in truth, P.O. Ackley himself gave me this suggestion, I have used these methods of drawing bullets since I was a kid and this summer, the schedule calls for this to be proven out, in my Labs (that is Barrel Drawing the 458 to 452), but until then, consider the above suggestion DANGEROUS.

I however have even drawn solids in this fashion with no ill effects, but then again, I know what I'm doing. There are many here that know too, so for them, and only them, Go-For-It..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Wildcatter -- all the Bushmaster barrels are hard chrome plated -- at lease mine is. It would seem to me that reaming the chamber would have a negative effect on the integrity of the plating -- possibly causing it to peel. Like chrome on a GM bumper!!
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Siringo wrote:Wildcatter -- all the Bushmaster barrels are hard chrome plated -- at lease mine is. It would seem to me that reaming the chamber would have a negative effect on the integrity of the plating -- possibly causing it to peel. Like chrome on a GM bumper!!

Yup, I forgot, thanks for watching my back. I do mods to mostly non-chrome barrels. But you can still ream the current chrome, it's tough on reamers and it's very thin all down the barrel. By reaming, as I have suggested, you will eliminate all the chrome in the chamber, something you need to make the call on, myself, chrome isn't my prime directive, but, chrome has so many advantages. I just ordered a bunch of non-chrome barrels, for conversions, from Bushy. One can always chrome after everything is done, as I said, it's very thing, measured in microns, if I remember right, like I said, this is an area I have not paid to much attention in, other than, I've taken tons of chrome out of chambers, so I could play with other ideas..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b