What reamers are you guys using for .284?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: What reamers are you guys using for .284?

Postby BD1 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:40 pm

I have been loading the Nosler 250 grain JHP and the Hornady .250 grain FTX in un-reamed, cut down .284 brass with no chambering issues. Maybe 500 rounds? The only issues I've had were using cast boolits sized .453, bullets over 350 grains, (long bullets), or sized down 325 grain FTXs. As the 250 grain jacketed bullets will do anything i need to get done, it's become a non issue for me. I load the cast boolits sized .453 in the Hornady factory brass, also with no issues.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Sat May 01, 2010 10:27 pm

BD1 wrote:I have been loading the Nosler 250 grain JHP and the Hornady .250 grain FTX in un-reamed, cut down .284 brass with no chambering issues. Maybe 500 rounds? The only issues I've had were using cast boolits sized .453, bullets over 350 grains, (long bullets), or sized down 325 grain FTXs. As the 250 grain jacketed bullets will do anything i need to get done, it's become a non issue for me. I load the cast boolits sized .453 in the Hornady factory brass, also with no issues.
BD

Do you run the expander/flare into the .284s before seating? Any trouble with the bulge being more on one side of the case than the other? When I wear out my existing stash of Hornady brass, I may once again revisit the .284 case. The first time I tried it unsuccessfully, I didn't have my upper yet and could not fire form the .284s.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:17 am

I gave up on my Hornady .450B expander die as the plug was too large, and I didn't see an easy way to get it out to polish it down a bit, so I'm using a lyman .45 acp expander die which works well. With jacketed bullets I don't flare the mouth enough to see, just enough to start the bullet.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hoot » Sun May 02, 2010 7:24 pm

BD1 wrote:I gave up on my Hornady .450B expander die as the plug was too large, and I didn't see an easy way to get it out to polish it down a bit, so I'm using a lyman .45 acp expander die which works well. With jacketed bullets I don't flare the mouth enough to see, just enough to start the bullet.
BD

What about asymmetrical bulging from the seated bullet. Did the Lyman expander alleviate that, or is it non-existent with once-fired, then re-sized .284 brass?
Thanks,
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b