Savage ML10II vs 450 Bushmaster ballistics and load data?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Savage ML10II vs 450 Bushmaster ballistics and load data?

Postby Dogbert » Sun May 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Question: What is the difference in ballistics and load data between the Savage ML10II and the 450 Bushmaster?

Yes the ML10II needs a ramrod to load, but from a bullet and ballistics standpoint the ML10II and the 450 Bushmaster seam more similar than not. This leads to a couple of potentially dumb questions:

1) Do the 450 Bushmaster and the ML10II share the exact same ballistics data? i.e. looks like they push the same bullet (.452 SST or XTP) at the same FPS.

2) What are the SAAMI pressure specs for the 450 Bushmaster vs. the Savage 10MLII?

3) Here is the potentially dumb question: Can they use the same powders? Savage recommends IMR SR4759, AA XMP-5744, or Vihtavouri N110.

The Savage ML10II has been my favorite hunting rifle for years. My favorite load for the Savage 10MLII is: Hornady .452 250gr XTP, 42gr IMR-SR4759, 2290 FPS; 43gr MAX gets 2300 FPS. I would like to use the same bullets and powder, but without blowing myself or others up.

Thanks!
Dogbert

Re: Savage ML10II vs 450 Bushmaster ballistics and load data?

Postby Hoot » Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 am

The only divergence between the two that comes to mind is the different friction in the bore which must yield a different pressure curve. I don't have the Savage ML10-11, but I do have a different smokepole and pushing a saboted .452 FTX bullet down a .50 cal barrel is a heck of a lost easier than pushing a nude .452 FTX down a .452 cal barrel. I'm sure more specifically experienced folks will weigh in on your question.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Mon May 10, 2010 7:59 am

While I do not own that type of ML -- I have done a lot of reading in regards to bullets and performance on game used by them. Good sites to go to in this regard. These are where we would get our most useful information regarding bullet choice and performance. Note that not many use 300 grain bullets or above.

HOWEVER -- do not use the powder charges for the Savage in the 450B under any circumstances. They are two different animals. Hoot is correct in saying the pressure curves are different. The plastic sabot offers little resistance in compared to the raw bullet. I had tried the 45 caliber sabot with the 200 grain SST and could not get enough powder to work the action. Simply not enough pressure. From what I ready -- the Savage can digest some huge powder charges -- push the 250 grain FXT to much higher velocities than we get. The chamber has been tested/proofed to 129,000 psi. WAY about our little 35,000 psi. One would have to assume that the Savage is operating in the 50K range from the size of the charges I have seen listed. Attached is a link to look at.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML_FAQ.htm
Siringo

Postby BarracudaBob » Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 am

The muzzle velocity of the projectile is the key point here. That is what will determine the trajectory for identical projectiles. They are very similar. Look up the Pyrodex & tipple 7 load data and you will se velocities that are close to the thumpers 2,000 - 2,200 fps.

Now that being said all the other internal ballistics will effect the felt recoil, muzzle jump, and delay from the time you pull the trigger and the bullet leaves the barrel. I took my first dear with a ML and the next 2 with my thumper. Same bullet same big ass hole and I'll do it again!
BarracudaBob

Postby BD1 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 am

The external ballistics and terminal ballistics are the same. A 250 grain FTX going 2,200 fps is what it is, (with some slight variation in rpms due to different twists), no matter what platform launched it.

The internal ballistics are completely different, one is cased, one is not. One is sabot-ed, the other is not. One is .45 bore, the other is .50 bore. The result is that the start pressure, bore resistance and expansion ratios are significantly different.

All that being said, the N110 should be a suitable powder powder for both.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Return to Reloading for the 450b