Snooze-n-Lose

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Snooze-n-Lose

Postby Hoot » Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Around 7 PM this evening, I checked my emails and there was a notice from Midway date-stamped 7 AM this morning that they have Hornady 450b brass back in stock for $1.00 each shipped. I bit and followed the link to their web site to read that all of it was already scarfed up. I don't know if it's just my frugal nature, but that sure seems like a lot of money for just the brass. That's $20.00 a box. I've seen loaded 450b ammo for $23.91 a box. I guess when it sells out in 12 hours, you can demand whatever you want for it. I seem to recall lot of folks on this board buy the loaded stuff, but I rarely, if ever see anyone selling their spent brass. Does that mean no one buys just the brass for reloading? Someone must be buying it, if it sells out in 12 hours. Makes me want to take good care of my brass. I hurt every time I see an extraction ding in one of mine. This is a sad state of affairs... :|

I almost forgot. That was the "On Sale" price!
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Snooze-n-Lose

Postby BayouBob » Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm

The price went up because of the oil spill in the Gulf!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Wed May 12, 2010 4:16 am

BayouBob wrote:The price went up because of the oil spill in the Gulf!

You heard that too?!

I wonder just how many they're going to have to shoot into that blowout preventer in order to plug it up? ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 am

Based on previous posts to this site -- I abandoned the idea of purchasing raw unfired brass. I just purchase loaded factory ammo. Most of the time I have settled on the 250 gr. FXT, so a first time load with fresh components it equates to paying nearly $30.00 a box for ammo (using Midway's prices). Of course, once the brass is in hand -- the equation changes. Originally I think Jagermaster pointed this out.

It seems to me that this phenomenon used to be the standard 40 years ago when I first started reloading. Did the ammo companies use the last shortage to reprice the product line and make loaded ammo less expensive than first time reloading to fully utilize the manufacturing process and utilizing the loading lines more efficiently by not just making raw unfired brass - thereby increasing the bottom line? Or something like that?!
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

I bought 200 cases from Midway last year, they were 29.99/box 50 I don't know why the price went up, or why it would be higher than .284 brass. I'm glad i bought them when I did though.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Bwana Bob » Wed May 19, 2010 3:28 pm

i was lucky and picked up 300 round of factory ammo for $200 when i got mine about a 4 weeks ago :D
Bwana Bob

Postby Hoot » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Bwana Bob wrote:i was lucky and picked up 300 round of factory ammo for $200 when i got mine about a 4 weeks ago :D

Wow! $13.33/box for factory ammo is a phenomenal deal! That's like half the going rate.
I can barely reload it for that and that was with the brass donated to me for free.
Great Catch
Hoot
Hoot

Return to Reloading for the 450b