FTX Bullets Comparison

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: FTX Bullets Comparison

Postby Cutright » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:44 pm

I am new to this group. Thank you very much for this article. I have recently shot two deer at about 50 yards with the Hornady 250 factory rounds. Both hit the spine and both broke apart badly. I was thinking of reloading Barnes to see if they hold together better
Cutright

Postby mauser323 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:00 pm

This my first time on this site and I must say the work done by Hoot on the FTX Bullets is over and above , GREAT JOB, bud
My love affair with rifles started at the age of 4 yrs. old and still provides thrills today at the age of 63. My pet rifles are built on military Mausers, the first was a model 98 chambered for the 8mm built in 1917 and now that I hunt southern Michigan I have decided to have that great old battle rifle re chambered into the 450 Bushmaster. I am going to keep the military step barrel and have it re-bored from the .323 dia. into the .452 dia. I have a local gunsmith working with me on this I'll keep you all posted on the build. Thank you to whoever started this site. Mauser323
mauser323

Postby Cutright » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:37 pm

My son just shot another deer with the 250gr factory FTX around in a bean field at 150 yds. Some beans were hit before entering the deer and the bullet went in right behind the shoulder. The entry hole is large, but only a small piece went into the chest cavity. While it doesn't seem fair complaining about bullet performance on a dead deer, this seems odd to me. That is three deer with this bullet where the bullet did not perform well. I think I am switching to Barnes 200 gr. It is not quite as accurate as the FTX's, but I think it'll work better once it hits. The other deer were shot at around 50yds. so I just assumed that it had too much energy for that bullet
Cutright

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:50 am

Cutright wrote:My son just shot another deer with the 250gr factory FTX around in a bean field at 150 yds. Some beans were hit before entering the deer and the bullet went in right behind the shoulder. The entry hole is large, but only a small piece went into the chest cavity. While it doesn't seem fair complaining about bullet performance on a dead deer, this seems odd to me. That is three deer with this bullet where the bullet did not perform well. I think I am switching to Barnes 200 gr. It is not quite as accurate as the FTX's, but I think it'll work better once it hits. The other deer were shot at around 50yds. so I just assumed that it had too much energy for that bullet

Im not a FTX fan on hair either, but if you want, try the blue tipped bonded Shockwaves from TC. Midway will have them as blems from time to time a good bit cheaper. They fly the same for me as the FTX and have shot a few deer with them in MLs at the same speeds as the 450B with complete pass thrus.

also, hard to beat that 200gr Barnes too.
Al in Mi

Postby Cutright » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 am

Thanks Al. I have the Midway blems and have been using them for targets. The 250gr seem to shoot a little better in my gun than the 200s so I'll give them a try
Cutright

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b