225 FTX - Going the other way too

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: 225 FTX - Going the other way too

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 am

Thanx!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Durdy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 am

Ok guys. BHW 12.5 in barrel will be here next week. I should have it together next weekend. 60 rds of factory 250ftx, and 100 new brass. Once factory stuff is done i will be shoothing 225ftx. Have any of you found other powders to work with shorter barrels and 225 bullet, besides lilgun and 2400?...yes i am sure most don't like the idea of a short barrel. But this is what I bought, and it will eve2 have a suppressor on it, so I wil gain some fps back.
Durdy1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:56 am

296 powder is an option but you gotta be real careful with it not to under charge. Get with Hoot. He's experimented with 296 a bit but only in the 20".
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:33 am

Durdy1 wrote:...snip... and it will even have a suppressor on it, so I will gain some fps back.

That's the second time you've said that and it does not compute in my head. Admittedly, I do not have a supressor, even though our state recently gave us the ok. I hate waiting for anything, let alone the time it takes to get the "mother may I" back. Nevertheless, my understanding of the physics behind how a suppressor works, must be flawed. Could you explain how, as you understand it, a suppressor adds velocity back. I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to expand my understanding of the fine points of internal ballistics.

Thanks in advance,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am

Durdy1 wrote:...snip... and it will even have a suppressor on it, so I will gain some fps back.

That's the second time you've said that and it does not compute in my head. Admittedly, I do not have a suppressor, even though our state recently gave us the ok. I hate waiting for anything, let alone the time it takes to get the "mother may I" back. Nevertheless, my understanding of the physics behind how a suppressor works, must be flawed. Could you explain how, as you understand it, a suppressor adds velocity back. I'm always on the lookout for an opportunity to expand my understanding of the fine points of internal ballistics. As far as powder goes, establish a baseline with Lil Gun. More folks here are familiar with it's behavior, probably more so than any other powder used to reload for the 450b.

Thanks in advance,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:06 am

I saw that too, Hoot. I'm in TX so I definitely want to know how that works because we can use cans down here too and I'm getting my single shot barrel threaded.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Durdy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:36 am

I have always been told that suppressors will add velocity. My understanding is that its basically adding more barrel, because its still building pressure behind the bullet even though the diameter of the suppressor bore is bigger than barrel bore. I not saying that its going to be the same fps increase that a barrel with the same overall length will be. I could be totally wrong, and misinformed. I haven't done any testing, as l only have a 22lr suppressor now.
Durdy1

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:48 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I saw that too, Hoot. I'm in TX so I definitely want to know how that works because we can use cans down here too and I'm getting my single shot barrel threaded.

Actually, I put my time where my mouth was and did some Googling. Boy talk about a conversation (argument) starter!

While the extra length afforded is somewhat offset by the expansion in each suppressor chamber, it is still on the plus side, albeit very slight, averaging between within the margin of measurement error and +1%. This figure seems to vary a little, depending upon which forum thread you read.

For folks who use a single can across different sized calibers, contrary to what you might expect, there is still some gain even when the bullet is smaller than the baffle hole size.

WRT powder choices. If you are blowing un-burned or still burning powder out of the barrel due to shortness of length, the can will get grungy a whole lot faster than when installed at a length, or using a faster powder where combustion for all intent and purpose, has completed.

If there is enough interest in discussing this further, I can move it out of the 225 FTX thread and into it's own.

Hoot

EDIT: I was still typing as Durdy was posting his reply.
Hoot

Postby Durdy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:17 pm

I agree Hoot there will not be huge gains...but since my barrel is so short, I will take any gain I can get. I will pick up some rem 71/2 primers and a pound of lilgun and a pound of 2400, start loading in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks
Durdy1

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Durdy1 wrote:I agree Hoot there will not be huge gains...but since my barrel is so short, I will take any gain I can get. I will pick up some rem 71/2 primers and a pound of lilgun and a pound of 2400, start loading in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks

Document your powder usage with that 2400. I'm extremely interested in your findings. Please post a range report to let us know how well it performed!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b